1991 "rude 70, volt creep, here is what I did

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my '91 "rude I have no regulator. I couldn't figure out WHY oh WHY, my 2 fish finder/charts would shut off after an hour or so on the water, sent them back to have them looked at, found nothing????? ......... Here is what I found and how I fixed it. This "rude motor charges the batteries fine, (I usually plug the boat in and charge the batteries night before we go out, so they are all topped off). Volt gauge (confirmed by multi meter) would be 14-16 volts as I lef the launch. Later the volts would creep up to 17. I replaced the rectifer (even though I KNEW it just changed AC to DC), just to see. This motor charges the batteries and then sends the voltage out to what ever. The old fish finder, AM/FM and Marine radio can handle the higher voltage, but my Lowrance and Raymarine shut down??? (don't ask me why, but both do. They were wired correctly, later when I had problems, I wired DIRECTLY to a battery. Also on the circuit is my radios, so I wasn't losing power, ground. At first I installed a small jell battery I got JUST to run them, charge that at night. This worked well for a month. Then I got to thinking........... I keep 2 solar panels on my 2 batteries with "voltage controllers" on them to limit high voltage cooking the battery when I'm away from the boat. I ordered a voltage controller from West Marine (under $15). I plugged that in, so the outboard power is going in and ONLY 12-14.3 volts coming out! I wired it in, dropped a volt meter on it and ran @ all day, never more than 14.3! Now my 2 fish/chart finders get "good" voltage. They are happy, I am happy, it's a happy world!! Joe

NYBo

Admiral
I hate it when creeps get into my boat.:eek:

Good thinking on the charge controller. What's the amperage rating on it?

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah me too!
I dunno how it "creep" into my boat, I have a motorcycle "Gremlin Bell" on her and everything.
Sticker on the front says 8 amps, but, take that with a can o beer!
Both finders must draw 1-2 amps on a good day.
I did order a CDI volt regulator/rectifer, so I'm hoping that comes in this week.
I didn't want to go diving into the motor, but this is a simple "plug n play".
Stand by for that testing
Joe