One year review of the IPilot for Minnkota

sierra 18

Cadet
I got the IPilot module for my Minnkota 45 V2 Powerdrive last year. My main reason for buying this module, was the virtual anchor. You remove the top of your trolling motor head, replace with the new IPilot head, feed the wiring through the main coiled power line, and it's plug and play.

Pros: The virtual anchor. I bought the IPilot for this alone. You wear the control (like a small TV remote) around your neck and can control motor on/off, speed, direction, anchor and pre-set trips since the unit has GPS. When you find a spot you want to fish from, you hit the anchor button on the remote, and the trolling motor will automatically come on as required to keep you within five feet of the spot you asked it to anchor you to. I love this, because the real anchor can be a pain to deploy, especially on weedy or muddy bottoms, where retrieving the anchor is always covered in weeds, mud or both. I've tried a drift sock, but the specific control this feature gives you is outstanding. The speed controls are more refined as well, with more grades of slow to fast, for more precise speed control. And there's a "rabbit" button so that you can go fast quickly if you're drifting towards rocks and need to move now.

Cons: Only downsides for me are these; the virtual anchor uses more battery (for me anyways), since it comes on and off frequently doing course corrections. I have found since getting the IPilot, my trolling motor battery runs down more quickly (even on a new, heavy duty marine battery). The only other think is the constant beeping when it's on the virtual anchor mode. The unit beeps each time it engages to make a course correction. Not a deal breaker but a minor annoyance on the early morning, mist-covered calm of the lake.

At any rate, I've used it since last season, and I would never go back.

Best,

Chris

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the info and product review sierra 18! I read your thread and think there should be a way to turn off the beep sound. Other then that it sounds like a nice setup... :thumb:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I've had an iPilot Terrova 80# for a couple of years and I would deffinatly buy it again. You should able to turn off the beeping.

I can run mine continuously for about 8 hours at a time before I notice the batteries are running down. Mine is used mostly for slow trolling, it sure is nice to have it so quiet when fishing.