Recommendations wanted on Fishfinder/GPS

Acheron2010

Cadet
The market out there is very confusing. Looking for a fishfinder/GPS with dual scan, a good size screen for older eyes. Will be exposed to the weather in a 16 foot Wahoo, used in lakes mostly, perhaps some of the Intercoastal Waterway or the Keys.
Something in the $500-ish range? Or do I have to go higher? Thanks. Bill

21BaylinerCC

Seaman Apprentice
I personally find Garmin to be very user friendly. I am currently looking at the Garmin echoMAP 73dv with transducer. I have demoed it at the local marine store and the 7" display is very easy to read. That being said, it is about $700... Garmin did have a summer rebate for $100 off, but that has passed. With classes starting soon, I had to skip buying it this year, unfortunately:/

jhnmdahl

Cadet
The Garmin 73DV is a nice choice, as is the 70DV if you can find them still around. Unfortunately, it seems Garmin cut features moving from the 70DV to the 73DV to make more of a distinction between those and more expensive models like the 741, etc.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got the Ray Marine Dragon fly.
Not a bad unit, like the down imaging. Looks like a T.V. picture when you go over something in the water.
A friend has one and after he spent a season with it, can identify fish species with it!
Only problem is no way to put a trail on it.
I also run a Lowrance 4HDI.
Not a bad unit either, kinda hard to use (reminds me of the old D.O.S computer program from the 90's) open a screen, options, open a window from that.
I keep one on charts the other searching for fish or??
When I get somewhere, one is sonar, one is down imaging.
My advice is get a bigger screen than you THINK you need!
They all look BIG in the store, but somehow they shrink on the boat!!!
Was told (West Marine guy in Watertown N.Y.), that Garmin is easiest to use.
I THINK once you get one and spend some time with it, you stay with that brand.
Joe
As always, take any advice I give with a can of beer er 2

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
My.. 2cts... I just recently purchased a Lowrance Elite 4 GPS/DI for my Alumacraft project boat. Did my research, went to Basspro shop store in Orlando. Looked at all the units in my price range. All had great image clarity, color and ease of use. Then stepped back a few feet to see how I could read the unit. Finally picked the Lowerance unit, although the Garmin and Hummingbird Helix and Raymarine units made it a hard choice. I suggest that going to a store that have the units on display will make your choice easier. The Garmin 300c I had on my Bayliner Capri was a great unit. Another deciding point was the $50 rebate and the Lowrance unit came with the optional lake map card.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The market out there is very confusing. Looking for a fishfinder/GPS with dual scan, a good size screen for older eyes. Will be exposed to the weather in a 16 foot Wahoo, used in lakes mostly, perhaps some of the Intercoastal Waterway or the Keys.
Something in the $500-ish range? Or do I have to go higher? Thanks. Bill

I have older eyes, too. :joyous: I'd recommend a 7" screen ot bigger.

I bought a Raymarine a78 with Downvision and and like it, but I'd caution against a touch-screen model on a small boat. When the water's choppy I can have a hard time 'fingering' the right part of the screen. My previous Lowrance HDS-7 (non-touch) was easier to manipulate when the boat was rocking. I could rest my hand on the unit and press the buttons with my thumb. Seems like a small point, but the touch screen can be aggravating at times.