Speaker questions

jyach4235

Cadet
Hello Everyone!

I have a 17ft tracker targa bass boat with a brand new trolling battery and also a new cranking battery. After buying the boat, i have realized that we go out cruising just as much as we fish! I am looking to put in some nicer sounding speakers that can get decently loud with decent bass response. I do not want to spend over 100 for a pair of speakers, but i have found what seems to be a good pair of either 6.5 (180 watts max) JBL speakers for 65 bucks and also a pair of 6X9s (300 watts max) for 85-90 buck range. First question, will i notice a difference between the 6X9s without using an amp? Also, will the 6X9s drain my battery much faster than the 6.5? I am concerned that the 6X9s will drain the battery in 4 hours if i am out cruising. I am new to boating, and owning a boat, so any help is always appreciated. I am also looking for head units, not sure how much the sound quality will be effected if i decide to get a cheaper 40 dollar boss head unit with 50X4 channel amps over a sony or pioneer that is double the price. As usual, you guys rock!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I see we need a little lesson here on speakers. IF you use either pair of speakers at the same volume level, they will drain your battery at the exact same rate (within reason for this conversation). The fact that one set can handle 180 watts while the other 300 watts has basically nothing to do with which pair will drain your battery the faster. Your amp output determines that rate of your batter drain, not the speakers. So for the sake of this conversation they both will drain your battery the same. It is just that the 6 X 9's are able to handle a higher power level IF your amp can output that amount. So usually folks buy their speakers to match their amp's capability. And that is the short story version of this... JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If 2 different speakers are played at the same sound level, the current draw the the amp will require is going to be exactly the same.

jyach4235

Cadet
Thanks for the reply gentleman! Do you think i will get a better sound quality and or bass response out of the 6X9s? Does the quality of the head unit really effect the sound?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the reply gentleman! Do you think i will get a better sound quality and or bass response out of the 6X9s? Does the quality of the head unit really effect the sound?

Again, not knowing much about either speaker pairs, the sound quality is hard to determine. And to answer your second question, yes the head unit has a lot to do with sound quality. But you have to understand higher output does not equate to better sound quality. So many things determine the ability of the head unit to reproduce the sound at better sound definitions then a simple response on here. I suggest if you're seriously interested, to research those questions on the web and start reading and absorbing the info. It is a lot to understand initially. but as you start learning things will get more interesting and make sense. However, buy a nice standard setup and enjoy the sound. I mean after all this is for a boat. It would be tons different if you were setting up an in home audio system for the purest sound capabilities... Don't let bigger is better to influence your buying dollars... JMHO!

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You will get bigger bass out of the 6x9s , more cone area moves more air volume. Remember one thing on stereo equipment...You get what you pay for, quality sound costs $$$

jyach4235

Cadet
Alright guys, one last question and i will be out of your hair! I have purchased an shkamp5800bt amp (600watt 2 channel) and a pair of jbl speakers 6X9 ms9200s (100 rms each speaker 300 watt max each speaker). I have copied the links to amazon where i bought them. Since i am not very knowledgeable on this subject, do you think i made a good choice buying this amp for these speakers? Additionally, i noticed on this amp that it states it will only work with rca connections. Do you guys know if these types of speakers come with just plain speaker wire or does it come with a speaker wire to rca connection? I am more concerned that i did not get a good amp for the speakers, any help would be appreciated!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS9200-6-I...r+speakers#Ask

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Alright guys, one last question and i will be out of your hair! I have purchased an shkamp5800bt amp (600watt 2 channel) and a pair of jbl speakers 6X9 ms9200s (100 rms each speaker 300 watt max each speaker). I have copied the links to amazon where i bought them. Since i am not very knowledgeable on this subject, do you think i made a good choice buying this amp for these speakers? Additionally, i noticed on this amp that it states it will only work with rca connections. Do you guys know if these types of speakers come with just plain speaker wire or does it come with a speaker wire to rca connection? I am more concerned that i did not get a good amp for the speakers, any help would be appreciated!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS9200-6-I...r+speakers#Ask

Depending on what YOU want or like, I think this will work nicely. I say install it and happy boating... RCA connections are everywhere and not hard to convert to most any setup. I don't see any problem myself. JMHO!

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The RCA connectors that they are referring to are the inputs (the wires connecting the head unit and amp). Your speakers should wire directly to the output terminals (usually with screws)

jyach4235

Cadet
Hey Guys,

Appreciate the responses. I am hoping the amp and the 6X9 speakers will give my boat enough sound. I love to blast hard rock just want to hear the speakers over the outboard engine on my fishing boat lol. glad you guys think my setup is okay!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hey Guys,

Appreciate the responses. I am hoping the amp and the 6X9 speakers will give my boat enough sound. I love to blast hard rock just want to hear the speakers over the outboard engine on my fishing boat lol. glad you guys think my setup is okay!

jyach4235, I totally understand what you are saying and trying to accomplish as well. I just ask you to also seriously think about other folks using the waters also. If they are like me, I go fishing to seriously get away from loud anything and therefore would immensely appreciate others not blaring their music to break that tranquility... Just be courtesy to others is all I am saying... :thumb:

jhnmdahl

Cadet
This isn't 100% accurate - speaker efficiency does vary to a slight degree. For example, an inefficient speaker may be rated at 86dB 1W/1m, while an efficient one might be rated 92dB 1W/1m. It's a small difference, but the more efficient ones will sound louder for the same amount of power input.