Trolling Motor Circuit Breaker

DKMP

Recruit
The 50 amp circuit breaker on my Minn Kota V2 keeps immediately tripping when I plug in the trolling motor. MK customer service said the wiring is bad between the battery and the plug. I can't find a nick, cut or broke wire anywhere that I can see or feel. It is factory installed wiring on a 2012 Lund. I jumpered from the TM plug to the CB. It sparked and fried the CB. Does this mean the short is in the TM?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
DKMP, :welcome: aboard...

If you took the Circuit Breaker and wired it to the positive and negative terminals on the trolling motor receptacle, I can easily understand why the circuit breaker fried. The circuit breaker is suppose to be in between the positive terminal of the trolling motor receptacle and the positive terminal of the trolling motor. And the negative terminal on the trolling motor receptacle is supposed to go to the negative terminal of the trolling motor. If you wire it up that way, it will work... You basically shorted out the battery through the circuit breaker and that will fry most anything like that... The circuit breaker is supposed to be in series with the device it is to protect, not parallel with the battery... JMHO!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
He said the breaker blows when the trolling motor is plugged in. If the breaker was factory installed at the battery and the breaker doesn't trip WITHOUT the motor plugged in, then it is not the wiring between the battery and the troller receptacle at the bow. The problem is in the trolling motor plug wiring or the motor itself. Are you sure the trolling motor plug is wired correctly? Is the wiring from the troller battery a two wire or four wire system? Yes -- a four wire system would be for a 24 volt system but only two wires would be used in a 12 volt system. The plug and receptacle would then have four terminals as well. You need to provide more information about the wiring on this boat.

DKMP

Recruit
I ran the jumper wires correctly. I installed the new breaker today. I have a 12 v, 2 wire system, 2012 Minnkota 50 lb V2, factory wired plugged and a factory (2012 Lund) installed receptacle and wiring. Before hooking up the battery, I used a voltmeter to test each section of the wiring circuit, everything read 0.2 to 0.4. I then hooked everything back together, and checked the entire circuit as one, it read 0.2 to 0.4. I then unplugged the the trolling motor and reconnected the battery. The circuit breaker tripped immediately upon the plug making contact with the receptacle prongs. Is the trolling motor bad? The prop turns freely, no fishing line on the shaft.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I ran the jumper wires correctly. I installed the new breaker today. I have a 12 v, 2 wire system, 2012 Minnkota 50 lb V2, factory wired plugged and a factory (2012 Lund) installed receptacle and wiring. Before hooking up the battery, I used a voltmeter to test each section of the wiring circuit, everything read 0.2 to 0.4. I then hooked everything back together, and checked the entire circuit as one, it read 0.2 to 0.4. I then unplugged the the trolling motor and reconnected the battery. The circuit breaker tripped immediately upon the plug making contact with the receptacle prongs. Is the trolling motor bad? The prop turns freely, no fishing line on the shaft.

Is this a new trolling motor to you (I know it is a 2012 model) or has this trolling motor work previously for you? I ask because it seems like your trolling motor could be the problem. If this is all new to you (new actually new) I would check the trolling motor wires for a short.

Thinking more about this. Are the .2 to .4 actually resistance readings? If so .2 at 12 volts is well past the 50 amp rating...

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You are not being specific in your comments. You said you ran the jumper wires correctly! What jumper wires! You ran tham from what specific point to what specific point (talk positive and negative)! In a 12 volt system there should be only two wires -- one from the positive terminal of the batter to one terminal on the breaker and from the other terminal of the breaker to the POS terminal of the receptacle. The second wire runs from the negative terminal of the battery to the receptacle. Your measurement numbers do not agree with your statement about using a voltmeter. There is only one measurement you are interested in. 12 volts measured across the receptacle terminals. It is either 12 volts or it is not. If 12 volts is present, the problem is in the plug on the trolling motor cable or the motor itself has an issue. Have you taken the plug on the troller apart to see if there is a frayed wire inside? Have you turned off the motor and measured RESISTANCE across the trolling motor plug. If the motor is off and you read short circuit you found the problem.

DKMP

Recruit
The armature is bad. Took it to a local authorized repair shop.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The armature is bad. Took it to a local authorized repair shop.

Thank for coming back here and posting what was the problem. That way others can read and learn from your issue. And that is what these boating forums are all about. Glad you found the problem and happy boating... :thumb: