Need Wiring Help

KingNugz

Cadet
Ok....so...first off.... I'm completely new to fiberglass boats... I've only had aluminum bass boats... however... i ran across an opportunity to buy a 1976 Rinkerbuilt Tri Hull... and got it! Since purchasing it I've done ALOT of research, ALOT of work and ALOT of restoration to it. I've stripped it out completely, put in a new floor, cut and made all new marine wood seats, rebuilt the 72' Evinrude 50 horse, & I have everything ready to finish. I'm using a Yellow Durabank bedliner to do my floors... so as to not have to replace the carpeting...lol.... and all my seating is now being reupholstered with my new color scheme. So... to the PROBLEM... REWIRING the WHOLE boat! I've seen hundreds of posts, diagrams, & images... and in the end... i know its nothing like wiring a house or car....supposedly! But... I can't figure out what to do from here! Like what size of wiring, how much wiring, if i need to use busses, etc...etc... So... here is what I've got... and HOPEFULLY this will help someone to be able to help me! Along with what I'm wanting to wire up! 6 panel fuse plate. Port and starboard lights. Stern lights. Cd/Mp3 player w/speakers & amp. 55 hp trolling motor. Led lights throughout. Bilge Pump. 2 Marine Batteries. So... this is about the gist of it... its not a big boat its a 18 footer Rinkerbuilt Tri Hull... I'm almost all the way done... however everything is on hold with the interior until i can figure out HOW TO WIRE IT UP? ANY HELP or advise would REALLY help. Ps... trying to post pics.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Gave you a new thread all your own. Watch where you reply, at least try to be close to the subject. It will still be moved. LOL

KingNugz

Cadet
Not really sure what shore provision means... I'm trying to hook up the basics..... a bilge pump, lights for boat, accent lights, a radio... and maybe a fish finder and cb.....

NYBo

Admiral
No Title

Add a 25 amp circuit breaker or fuse within a foot of the battery on the positive feed. The feeds to the fuse panel should be 10 or 8 gauge; the wiring to the accessories can be 16 gauge.

Attachments

• photo107458.jpg
    photo107458.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It's not "shore provision". Provision for shore power is what was intended. Shore power is the ability to run AC powered appliances and accessories by plugging into 120 volts AC power at the dock. Shore power setups on a boat vary greatly and should not be wired by an amateur for obvious reasons.

KingNugz

Cadet
Ok...so....let me do some clarification... I've got 2 Marine batteries... a fuse panel and I'm only hooking up....Port, Starboard, & Stern Lights, interior "decorative" lights, a radio with 400 w amp and 4 6" speakers... MAYBE a cb....later... I've been told it is a REAL SIMPLE install ... do i need a bus? Do i need MARINE wire... and is it POSSIBLE to actually chat with someone....? Thx everyone!

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
I'm about to start a similar project on a pontoon, lights, stereo, etc. I bought the proper gauge marine wire, fuse box and switch panel for the console right here on iboats. As NYBo said put some kind of "main" fuse/circuit breaker between the battery and fuse box. Pretty straight forward deal, do a little searching here and you will find a basic wiring diagram. I'm only using one battery for now, if your using two wire in a switch that lets you use batt. #1, batt.#2 or both. As far as "shore" power, doesn't sound like you need this unless your going to be living/sleeping on the boat while docked. This means you bypass your batteries and run everything off 120 a/c provided at the dock just like your house. As said that will get "complicated"!

seadogmike

Seaman Apprentice
2 Marine Batteries= Battery selector switch
Fuse Panel= As mentioned before you need a main fuse (or circuit breaker) in the (red) Positive side of the cable feeding the panel.
Port-Starboard and stern lights (use the same fuse) take one space in the fuse panel. I believe those should be fused as 10 amp. they will need to have a 3 way toggle switch for proper wiring.
Bilge pump- feed from 2 circuits if it is automatic. One circuit comes directly from the battery (through a fuse), and one circuit from the fuse panel (through a Auto/manual switch).
Stereo, Probably 2 power feeds. one from the fuse panel fused per the radio manufacturers specifications, and 1 from the (ON) position of the ignition.
Stereo Amp...... You are on your own here. Would not recommend an amp unless you have a desire to drain batteries or annoy other boaters. ( just my opinion)
All (-) negative leads should be connected to a bus. Most fuse blocks have a negative bus as part of the assembly. The negative bus should connect directly to the negative terminal of the battery.

There are wire color codes for specific devices.
You haven't mentioned anything about ignition wiring, Tachometer, or Gauges. What are your plans for these?