Tachometer Fix

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The Faria tach in my 2002 Four Winns deckboat started indicating about 400-500 rpm high. I called Faria tech support and left a message. I was pleasantly surprised when my call was returned almost immediately. The advice given was that my 13 year-old instrument probably needed to be replaced, but it was suggested that working the tiny rotary selector switch on the back of the tach might fix the problem. The switch sets the tach for the number of cylinders of the engine to which the tach is connected. Doing so cured my tach issues. I thought this knowledge might help others with tach problems.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh yes Four Winns, that has been issued as a possible fix many times on these forums. But it is interesting to see the company offered that as a possible solution as well. Everything has to go through that selector switch and it can and does get a little corrosion on the wiper blade and contacts. So when you switch it back and forth a little, it actually cleans the contacts off a little and things make better connections... Thanks for the post... JMHO!