1979 Mercury Deluxe Control wires

79bomber

Cadet
In the case of my '79 Bomber Cobra, I have the Mercury Deluxe Controls box for ignition and throttle. The wires run from that unit up underneath my dash. They are brown, black, white and white w/purple stripe. The white and white w/ purple stripe wires are not connected anywhere, but they had sticky electrical tape on the both of them. That is not factory. I am interested in these wires original designation to make sure that I have every think working that is necessary.

The items that do not work on my electrical:
Speedo backlight - bad connection on socket. Works at times.
Fuel gauge -sending unit bad, I think. Purple wire is connected to fuel send bolt and runs straight to battery.
Left aisle light - not sure why not.
Front fishing seat floor light - not working
Front Voltage gauge and backlight - worked when I hooked it to a 12V supply after removing it from boat.
Front Charge side of Run/Charge flip switch (maybe the Charge side was supposed to be the red w/ fuse wire and the Blue wire that are hooked to nothing from factory.
Rear All-around light - getting power. Gonna try new light. The bulb socket moves freely and is loose inside the white lens. Seems like it shouldn't be completely loose.
My Mercury Thruster is going to need an overhaul on some wiring and switches.

79bomber

Cadet
Update: the black wire running out of the Deluxe Controls, up to the fuel gauge ground stud has had major problems. The insulation was bubbled up and melted so, that the brown and white wires were stuck together with it inside the harness "sticky electrical tape" and slightly singed. Another 6" tail ground from the fuel gauge ground was burned up, as well. I'm talking about two feet of wire. Half of it showed copper! All was replaced and insulated and loomed. This boat has cranked and ran fine. My problems were gauges and lights.

I noticed that the fuel gauge ground stud was missing the small black insulated washer. That ground supports five ground wires. All other gauges had the washers and they all worked. They were depressed against the metal on the housing. I made a insulated washer out of some old parts and put it on that ground stud to keep the wires from directly connecting with the gauge. My fuel gauge now operates properly, I'm happy to report. This has been so fun! My Mercury Thruster trolling motor may not be as easy. That's future topics.

"You can do anything, if you want to hard enough."

gm280

Supreme Mariner
79bomber, I've read your thread twice now. And I also see no other responses to your post. And that is probably because folks usually won't response if they have no help or ideas to help you out. I'm glad you are getting the wiring sorted out now. I would love to help you out but honestly have no idea how your boat is wired with the correct color codes. And that is probably the reason others haven't offered help as well. But I am interested in your project. Take some pictures and post them for us to see what you are working on. That will prompt suggestions for sure... :thumb:

79bomber

Cadet
This has already been, by far, more precise and timely help than I have ever received on any forum. I am restoring a 1978 Ford Mustang Cobra II and car forums are weak on precision and strong on guessing. I don't want a guesser to post on my questions, honestly. For me, no posts means deeper thinking.... Seriously.

Thank you for caring, like many on my other posts. Much appreciated.