do I need a bigger fuse in my starting wire?

mallardtone-man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys I built my own cables for my 125 horsepower Merc and included a 100 amp inline fuse one foot off the battery. It has been starting fine for the last month or two but recently died on me I tried cranking it around 20 times then got no spark I checked and the fuse is blown. do I need a bigger one or did I just put too much strain on it by repeatedly cranking?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Have you ever seen a fuse on a battery cable on a car? The answer is no. You Don't need one and the one you do have is too small. That fuse has nothing to do with lack of spark.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
hey guys I built my own cables for my 125 horsepower Merc and included a 100 amp inline fuse one foot off the battery. It has been starting fine for the last month or two but recently died on me I tried cranking it around 20 times then got no spark I checked and the fuse is blown. do I need a bigger one or did I just put too much strain on it by repeatedly cranking?

I understand you're wanting to be safe with a fused circuit. And if you still want to do that, use a 150 or 200 amp fuse. That way IF there is ever a serious short the fuse takes the burning wires and possible fire out of the equation... I'll probably do something very similar with my rebuild project as well. I understand most vehicles don't have the battery to starter fused, but then you can easily walk away from a burning vehicle if need be. Not so much with a boat though... JMHO! :thumb:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Another point of failure that would prevent starting the engine should an emergency arise that is not related to an electrical malfunction on the boat. In my many decades of operating motor vehicles only once did I experience a situation where a fuse in the battery cable would have been handy -- and even then if had been properly sized it may not have helped. I once owned a Chrysler that on a particular day I moved from the driveway into the street. My wife came out to the garage a few minutes later and commented "who is trying to start the car?" What? The keys are in my pocket. A truck had gone by, the slight movement apparently caused the starter solenoid to pop closed because it never fully released. I pulled a battery terminal and a new solenoid fixed the problem. So any problem in that circuit on a boat would be limited to the cables or the solenoid. Because those cables are short, stiff and very unlikely to short as well as a solenoid that has a 99.99% chance of never failing in the closed mode, a fuse in that circuit is really not needed and may actually be detrimental. But then that's just my part of my KISS principle.