Does the battery recharge off the outboard

sdexcalibur

Seaman Apprentice
When I bought my 17' sea nymph I asked the guy how long does the battery last before charging it. He just looked at me like I had 5 heads. Only thing I can compare it to is me in my 12' Jon boat with electric trolling motor.
he says you don't have to charge the battery. Ok fine, but I just picked up a min Kota 75 trolling motor. My question is while I'm trolling obviously it will be using battery power. If I start the outboard again the battery will start charging. So I don't have to worry about charging the battery after every time? And if I can sneak another question in here. I Want to get another battery and hook them up together because I'm nervous about it dying in the water. Their wouldn't be a problem if the motor is rated for 12volts if I hook up 2 batteries?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You don't say what motor came on the Sea Nymph, but if it's electric start, it probably charges the battery.

About the trolling motor - I don't think your idea about starting the gas motor to charge the battery after running the trolling motor will work because most don't have the charging power and is a good way to get stranded, which you are trying to avoid. It's best to have a separate battery or better yet two batteries to run the trolling motor and to charge them before going out and charge again when you get home.

I hope that makes sense.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
What size trolling motor is this? Can you rope start the engine? Trolling motors take a lot of juice and can kill a battery and it is not a good idea to use a starting battery to run a troller.. Even if your Evinrude does have an alternator it is very low output and will not fully charge a deeply discharged battery unless you run wide open for hours. Whether you have one battery or two, you will need to manually charge the troller battery. Yes -- since your motor is electric start it will charge the starting battery. If you elect to use the starting battery for the troller you will need a good pair of oars or be able to rope start the engine.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
MOST outboards, at least non-efi electric start models, can charge at maybe 5-10 amps max at a decent rpm. Not enough to recharge a drained trolling motor battery. You may actually end up frying the stator by doing so.

In your situation, get 2 batteries. A big deep cycle for your trolling motor, and a smaller starting battery. Charge the trolling battery from a battery charger at night.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
EFIs will charge your battery too. Jumping on the wagon, get a separate deep cycle for your troller and give it a full charge after each use..... If you have a bow mount troller, there maybe a compartment for your deep cycle in the bow....Your deep cycle can also be a backup to your starting battery if something were to happen.. Providing the deep cycle hasn't been drawn down too far to turn the motor over...

Last edited: