Turn key and nothing happens

hatboat

Seaman Apprentice
I went to start my boat today, turned the key and nothing, complete dead. Checked the battery and that's fine. Took the cover off the outboard motor (1977 Johnson 70 hp) and noticed a cut wire. I taped the wire (didn't resplice) and still nothing. I went back wiggle the tape, tried to start and it did. Would this single wire cause it not to start. I've attached a picture to show where the wire was. It's the grey one to the left with the electrical tape on it. If I connected the wire correctly would that solve the issue or can it be something else? Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
hatboat, I can't say from just that picture. However IF the engine started after taping the gray wire back together, I say don't slice it, replace the wire. Looks to be a small wire with connectors on each end (if I 'm seeing it properly) so I would replace that gray wire and happy boating... JMHO!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
When you say "wire was cut" do you mean the wire was actually severed or was the insulation just rubbed off? If the wire was NOT severed, then that was not the starting problem. A wire will conduct current without insulation. Insulation is added to wires to prevent them from shorting to one another. If the wire was indeed severed, then fixing the broken wire is the solution to the problem. Whenever you have a "totally dead" scenario the very first thing to check are the battery cable connections. That doesn't mean looking at them. That means removing them, cleaning them shiny bright, as well as the battery posts, and then installing them tightly. Don't forget that there are two ends to each cable. Just because they are ok on one end does not mean they are ok on the other.

hatboat

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks all. I cleaned the battery cable ends and it started up no problem. Many thanks for the suggestions.