Boat randomly turns off while idling in neutral or in gear

twarner4574

Seaman Apprentice
Ahoy all! I had an issue this past weekend where my boat just completely shut down while I was at idle in neutral as I was waiting to tie up to a friends boat that was dropping anchor. The whole boat just shut down. The key was in the ON position, but the motor turned off as did all my electronics that are wired to my distribution panel. I was able to restart it, but later as I was idling through a channel while in gear, I put the boat in neutral to allow another vessel to pass....and it shut itself down again. Again, I was able to restart it and continue on, but I do not understand why this is happening. The motor is only 2 1/2 months old. I had a remanufactured Mercruiser 260 installed just before Memorial Day and it only has about 12 hours on it. Anyone ever had an issue like this before? Please help! :confused:

alldodge

Staff member
Ahoy all! I had an issue this past weekend where my boat just completely shut down while I was at idle in neutral as I was waiting to tie up to a friends boat that was dropping anchor. The whole boat just shut down. The key was in the ON position, but the motor turned off as did all my electronics that are wired to my distribution panel. I was able to restart it, but later as I was idling through a channel while in gear, I put the boat in neutral to allow another vessel to pass....and it shut itself down again. Again, I was able to restart it and continue on, but I do not understand why this is happening. The motor is only 2 1/2 months old. I had a remanufactured Mercruiser 260 installed just before Memorial Day and it only has about 12 hours on it. Anyone ever had an issue like this before? Please help! :confused:

You have a loose or bad connection somewhere. Start with the battery cables and check all ends. Pull the engine harness connector, pull it off and reinstall. With loosing everything I'm thinking your loosing a ground.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since it is happening in neutral maybe your idle isn't set right. The fuel air adjustment screw is on the carb. I've had similar issues. Take a screw driver and adjust. Also the idle speed adjustment may be off. Should be about 700 RPMs in neutral give or take. If too low it will cut out. Could be wiring or connection issue also.

jacrabbitt

Cadet
Sounds like a bad ground (loose wire). Battery first. Then i'd check ignition switch wiring. terminal on switch could have wiggled it's way loose and making intermittent contact. gently tug on ignition switch wires. wire connector where it slids onto ignition blade could have wire broken loose . Also the shifter has a momentary kill when shifting between F-N-R something could be hanging up. Still sounds like ground issue to me.

Last edited:

twarner4574

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the tips. I'll be looking into it this evening. Once I find the problem, I'll be sure to share it and the solution with everyone. :)