1976 Starcraft 18'Holiday from the tin out Re-do

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozerII

Admiral
I usually travel to the U.S. to liberate old Starcrafts, but I found this nice Holiday in Cranbrook B.C Can. The hull was straight and the drive train looked good, the five coats of paint on here well that was pretty rough.

The interior well it was 36 years old and the boat was well used.

We used her for a summer after fixing some pretty bad leaks from missing rivets that made the Admiral pretty nervous.

As you can see fishing conditions were anything from perfect.

dozerII

Admiral
After the boating season ended in 2013 she was put in the Starcraft hanger for her makeover. The motor and outdrive and interior were pulled out.

She had some serious critter infestation at one time in her life.

All cleaned out and the horrible vermin smell was gone.

Continued

dozerII

Admiral
Next she was flipped on her back and the arduous task of stripping 5 coats of paint off that had a layer of lake grime in between began.

It was quite a job but I made her lose her cloths

Next came, learning how to replace solid rivets, once all the supplies and tools arrived, some practice.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Once all the bad rivets were replaced came polishing, I usually don't mind this job but trying a new system always has it's trials.

I used the Caswell pads and wax, there is a learning curve but it works well, but it takes months to clean the black dust and fluff out of the shop.

Cont.

dozerII

Admiral
Once the polish was done she was flipped back over and new decks and flotation foam were put in.

New transom

Cont

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Then the lipstick and mascara started, new Nautalex vinyl.

Upholstery starts.

Designing a new custom instrument panel.

Cont

dozerII

Admiral
And the Splash.

The first fishing trip and the Admiral has a grin that can't be wiped off.

These old Starcrafts are awesome boats, whenever we get the chance to save one from the scrap heap we have to. I have really enjoyed redoing this one, as well as the previous ones and look forward to all the ones to come. It's going to be a great way to spend the long cold Canadian winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.