1957 Starcraft Ski Champ Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1957 Starcraft Ski Champ Restoration

Also been working on the trailer. Got the wheels degreased in the shower stall, much to SWIMBO's chagrin, (it's just too dang cold to do it outside:D)
Then got the bearings and seals, and changed them out and repacked the hubs, finally got the wheels and trailer rattle can painted, turns out the tires are in pretty good shape.
Before
SkiChampweek10004.jpg

During
SkiChampweek12001.jpg

SkiChampweek12003.jpg

After
SkiChampweek12.jpg

SkiChampweek12004.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Got the trailer done enough to get the boat back on it. Some pics of the cool bunk roller/pads I totally rebuilt, and the spare tire and new winch.
SkiChampweek14001.jpg

SkiChampweek14003.jpg

roller down position (trailering)
SkiChampweek14004.jpg

roller up position (loading)
SkiChampweek14006.jpg

whitewall spare :)
SkiChampweek14005.jpg

Getting close to head out to the paint shop!

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the compliments:) I started polishing the close to 50' of aluminum trim/rubrail guard. I first stripped the paint, then used easy off to remove the scratched up anodizing, then worked thru 150, 220, and 320 grit sanding pads before hitting it with mothers mag and aluminum polish. I think it is turning out pretty well. Here is a pic of the polishing jig I set up on a sawhorse, and a comparison of before and after. I also found some led replacement bulbs for the nav lights, scince the motor has electric start, but no charging system (not offered till 58 I think) I am tryingto minimize power draw. (gotta have some spare power for the stereo system :D)
SkiChampweek16002.jpg

SkiChampweek16003.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Got the transom done, 7 coats of poly spar varnish, and now ready to attach. I made it from 2 pc of true 3/4" thick red oak, laminated with epoxy adhesive. Hopefully it will be good for another 50+ years :D

SkiChampweek17.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

SHE is Gettin Painted!!!!:D I have a friend of mine who has agreed to paint her. He has a spray booth setup in his barn, and it is finally warm enough! We decided to go with DuPont Imron. I have worked with airplanes painted in this stuff and it is probably one of the most durable paints I have seen. Colors are white and 1950's aqua blue. He got it primed tonight and I went over to get some pics to post.

SkiChampweek19001.jpg

SkiChampweek19002.jpg

SkiChampweek19003.jpg

SkiChampweek19004.jpg

White goes on tomorrow.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Boat is painted:D But I haven't seen it yet, My friend is out of town for the weekend so I'll have pictures Monday night. In the meantime It was finally time to re-assemble the engine and get her fired up. I added a fuel pump and changed the points, coils, wires. Rebuilt the starter, cleaned the carb and put in a new water pump. She fired right up, so I put the restored cowling in for the first time.
Skichampweek21001.jpg

I managed to find an old solenoid cover for a 56 , so I repainted it and applied a set of 53 year old decals. I think it turned out pretty well. (It will mount on the transom.)
Skichampweek21002.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

I got a chance to get some pics of the new paint job. Dave is not satisfied with the bow deck and wants to re paint it, so we are going to give the paint some time to cure. This stuff (Imron) should be some tuff paint once it is fully cured.
Skichampweek21003.jpg

Skichampweek21005.jpg

Skichampweek21007.jpg

Skichampweek21008.jpg

Skichampweek21010.jpg

Skichampweek21012.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Well, Dave wasn't satisfied with the way the white came out, but the 4th time was the charm, because I was able to bring her home tonight. The bow pc is just on temporarily to bring it home, but here are a few pics.
Skichampweek22001.jpg

Skichampweek22002.jpg

Skichampweek22003.jpg

Skichampweek22004.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the compliments! The color, not my first choice, but very period, is growing on me. I got her back on the stands in the garage, and started the re-assembly. First to go in was the bow flotation pod and foredeck support.
Skichampweek22005.jpg

Then the foredeck and gunnels went on. This time I used stainless ring-shank nails and 5200 to attach them (Not starcrafts staples and regular nails) Once the outside was attached, I added new stainless screws to the Under gunnel brackets that attach the inner wood rail to the inner rub rail.
Skichampweek22006.jpg

The wife got a picture of me working on getting the dash attached.
Skichampweek22008.jpg

I then re attached some of the inner trim using #4 flat head SS wood screws instead of the nails
Skichampweek22010.jpg

Once it was on, I got the new front mahogany seat bottom in (I already attached the flotation pod under it)
Skichampweek22009.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Happy Easter everyone! After church this morning, I had a chance to get the rest of the seat parts re-installed. It is really starting to look like progress. All the detail work I did waiting for paint is really starting to pay off with a quick re-assembly process.
Skichampweek22012.jpg

Skichampweek22011.jpg

Skichampweek22013.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Bwana,

I agree on the period correct look (with some minor upgrades) But it sure makes the resto a little more $$$, as those vintage parts cost a premium. Add to that the fact that I needed a period windshield, steering system, lighting, controls, and motor, and then went a little nuts on the bling like horn, ski mirror, new old stock cleats, step pads, solenoid box, ect. Add in a bottom up motor restoration and premium paint makes the cost per foot a little steep. But then again, I am trying to create an heirloom boat that I can pass down to my kids and have plenty of good memories in.

Well I got some more of the polished aluminum trim on, using SS screws. I am pre drilling and sealing each hole with 5200 to hopefully prevent the kind of rot that accumulated over the past 50+ years.

Skichampweek23001.jpg

Skichampweek23002.jpg

Skichampweek23003.jpg

Skichampweek23004.jpg

Skichampweek23005.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

I got the windshield mounted tonight. Had to get overspray dust off it, basically I had to re-polish it with the novus system to get it all off. That stuff is tenacious.
Skichampweek23006.jpg

Skichampweek23007.jpg

Skichampweek23010.jpg

Skichampweek23008.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

I want your opinion on the bling mounting. Do you like the cleats and is there too much stuff on the bow?

Skichampweek23013.jpg

Skichampweek23012.jpg

Skichampweek23014.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Paranoid!! ....Why, who did you hear that from?!? :D Seriously, thanks for the compliments. Today was bolt on the bling day, It sure takes some time to get all this attached, but here are some pics. Tomorrow is wiring day.

Skichampweek23017.jpg

Skichampweek23018.jpg

Skichampweek23021.jpg

Skichampweek23023.jpg

Skichampweek23024.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

I also got the starcraft emblems installed, and the wiring ready to install tomorrow.

Skichampweek23025.jpg

Skichampweek23027.jpg

Skichampweek23028.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Got the tunes installed, my one concession to modern times. The amp is hidden behind the dash, the Ipod is mounted as seen, and the speakers are up underneath the bow, hopefully it doesnt detract from the period resto toomuch, but there issomething about listening to Buffett while you are tooling around the lake that can't be beat :D

Skichampweek24002.jpg

Skichampweek24001.jpg

Skichampweek24003.jpg

Skichampweek24004.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Darren,

That's it, got one off of ebay for my previous restore and liked it so much I got another. Now I can just take my Ipod from boat to boat. These little amps really work well, I was planning on getting a marine stereo for my other boat and didn't like the price tag, so I started searching and found these. Really put out plenty of power for our needs.

I spent the afternoon wiring up the courtesy lights, they are on a dimmer too. Also added some bling led lights to illuminate the starcraft logo (kind of like the lights airliners use to illuminate their tail and the airlines logo) :cool:

Skichampweek24015.jpg

Skichampweek24016.jpg

Skichampweek24017.jpg

Skichampweek24013.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

I finally got around to getting my registration numbers, the boat is now official as far as the state of Indiana is concerned. Those 3" numbers the state requires sure look big. :confused: I also got the speedometer pickup mounted. The boat is about ready to load on the trailer and get the engine mounted, but I need to get the axle on the trailer tweaked some more as she is not tracking quite right. Hopefully I can get that done this weekend

Skichampweek25001.jpg

Skichampweek25002.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

The boat got it's heart today! I got her back on the trailer after tweaking the axle. Then it was time to get the motor in. The right tools made it go easy, host it up and back the boat under it.
Skichampweek25003.jpg

I think it looks at home on the transom.

Skichampweek25004.jpg

Skichampweek25005.jpg

Skichampweek25007.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Fired the motor up on the boat today, wanted to make sure the shift and throttle linkages were working before the launch. Here is a pic and a couple of vids, first at high idle approx 1000 rpm, then at low idle approx 500 rpm. don't know much about how they are supposed to run, so any comments on tuning the low speed jet and such would be appreciated.

Skichampweek26001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.