Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first boat - Restoring an 18 footer !!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first boat - Restoring an 18 footer !!!

Bought this used and decided to redo everything. I only bought the hull and did not include the engine as I was going to buy a brand new engine.

It was used primarily to tow amateur wakeboarders and banan boats in a local hotel here in the philippines.

I am very buzy and don't have much experience DIY so I had to hire people here to do the work... hey cheap labor here!!!

With no boating experience whatsoever, I set out to design the boat. I scoured hundreds of internet pictures (unfortunately did not find iboats site back then). I started out by plotting where the cooler would go. And you can see in this picture. In hindsight bad idea... I think this would add to my future porpoising problem.

I wanted to keep the inside as open as possible, thinking this would be a family / party boat. The inverted V on the bench was inspired by this boat here.

Re: My first boat - Restoring an 18 footer !!!

I forgot... we took out the console and had a brand new one fabricated. You see the interior here taking shape without the console yet.

still waiting for my pics to upload to flickr. Will continue this in a few hours.

Comment

I wanted graphics that would stand out. So we settled on this one which I adobe photoshopped before doing the actual work.

For the interior cushion and overall layout, I used google's SKETCHUP (3d modelling) and came out with this design.

I have a laser cutting/engraving business so I was able to use my laser machines to cut out the templates for the paint job on the outside.

and VOILA -

My console was now done and i like it!
      Last edited by oops!; March 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

I have since added a few things here and there and will take pics and post em.

Tell me what you guys think!

Comment

Installed for the stereo are 4 - 6.5inch focals. My Rockford amplifier (inside the console), 1 - 12" kicker subwoofer (under the console) and 1 waterproof head unit cd player. Will take pics of the console and the stereo too.

Coming are smart tabs!

Comment

Looks GREAT! Nice work. Congrat's!

Comment

awesome job, nice design

be proud
                any one would be happy with that bote
                The Hull Extension Thread
                great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
                November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

That is a sweet boat! I'm so jealous. But, when I saw that bright blue clear water I was totally jealous! Good Work!

Comment

Wow! beautiful boat---you did an outstanding job---congratulations!

Comment

Wow, hey congrats, that was a bang up job you did on that. Very Very nice!
                      Removed

Comment

i was just noticing.....

first of all the console....
                        did they fab it...and how????

i wanna do some fab on my bote and i am thinking the best way to do it.

second....
                        is that the trailer?

you might wanna think about springs on the axel. if your trailering far that will beat yer boat to stuffings!

again....nice boat
                        The Hull Extension Thread
                        great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
                        November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Man that looks really great !!!! great Job
                          http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj258/jcsercsa/

STANLEY CUP CHAMPS 35-36 36-37 42-43 49-50 51-52 53-54
                          54-55 96-97 97-98 01-02 07-08

Comment

the console - yes they fiberglassed it. I called up my buddy's that are into fabricating fiberglass molds for sound system set ups in cars. They specialize in making really cool speaker and trunk boxes. From my understanding, they make molds with fiberglass using CLOTH. Cloth forming is what they call it. 7 steps to make the molds using cloth to be able to get the curves in there. They first made the basic framework and then added cloth from one edge to the other edge. They have to stretch the cloth a whole lot. To me it looked like the type of cloth they use in speaker grills. Here is a pic of the console before the cloth was added on it.

The round sharp edges to get the ferrari effect for the gauge covers were PVC pipes cut at an angle. The subwoofer box is downfiring towards the floor.

To me it is amazing work they did on it.

for your second question. Yes that is the trailer. But don't worry. It never runs in the streets. My boat is stored at the beach house. Around 20 meters down to the water. It just goes up and down the boat house.

Comment

hello,

very nice presentation. i enjoyed seeing ur restoration. hard to believe it is the same boat... i am thinking u may want to consider going into boat building as a side line...

thanks

regards

lakester
                              sigpic
                              Lakester Special
                              '71 85HP Evinrude

Comment

Working...
                              X