1994 Stingray 556zp Restore

Ok! Here we go! This is my first restoration and I'm really pumped to get going on this. I just bought a 1994 Stingray 556zp with trailer that needs HELP! I was definitely looking through rose colored glass. But all I saw was diamond in the rough! No motor, no interior, deck and stringer rot. But the hull itself is in great shape. I've been doing a lot of reading on here and found that the guys do an amazing job with documenting their restorations. I plan on posting a lot of pics and maybe some video. Friscoboater did an awesome job with his documenting and videos...... I have a lot to live up to! I will need everyones help!!!!!

Here she is! stingray.jpg

WVagent

Cadet
Welcome! She's definitely a beauty and I love that you're able to look past the rough spots to what she can be. You've definitely got the fever!

I have an 89 Sea Ray I'm restoring. I look forward to your posts!

Welcome! She's definitely a beauty and I love that you're able to look past the rough spots to

what she can be. You've definitely got the fever!

I have an 89 Sea Ray I'm restoring. I look forward to your posts!

WVagent thanks! I definitely have the fever! I think about working on it all the time. I think I'm going to try to do a little bit everyday. I want it water ready by next summer, so I have a good jump.

Here are some pics of the interior of the boat. You can definitely tell that the deck needs replaced as well as the interior. The stringers are horribly rotted. Once I get the Gimble housing off I will inspect the transom.....but something tells me it needs to be replaced as well.:cool:

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey waiting on those pics. I'll be tagging along watching how it's going. There's going to be some improvising with know interior . I have the same problem rite now with my interior for the restoration that I'm doing. It's all rotted away to nothing. But the good thing about that is you can get creative . Do what you think looks good. Don't hesitate to ask questions around here. There's a lot of guys with a wealth of knowledge, ( tpenfield ) Being one of them!!!!! :rockon:

JameO, I think I got the pic thing figured out. I saw your thread and it looks like we have about the same amount of work to do.

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wish I had 6" under mine.I only have maybe 3/4. Make sure you TAKE ALOT of pictures and measurements before you take out your stringers and interior. Heck you have more interior than I thought.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats!
Lots of work ahead. Do you have a motor located? Have you decided on a budget? Have you taken LOTS of Pre-Measurements of EVERYTHING prior to starting your demolition? You WILL need them when you start the "Go-Back" work. Take LOTS of pics of EVERYTHING now and everystep of the way. You WILL reference them later. This will help get you started with what you'll be doing...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms and this PDF file will help you with what you'll need..
One of the keys is to try and do a little bit, every day and stay focused. LIFE always gets in the way and it's easy to lose focus and the project slips away. If you write down a plan/checklist on a daily basis and then check off the task EVERYDAY you'll be surprised how much and how fast you'll get to the end and be on the water!!!!

Keep posting pix and asking questions and the members here on the forum will be sure to help you all along the way!!!

Attachments

• MaterialsList.pdf
    174.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Welcome to the dry dock mate :) I noticed the outdrive is missing also. Did you take it out and bought the boat without it? She is a looker, I hope you got a good deal. Will be watching and hopefully helping down the road

I wish I had 6" under mine.I only have maybe 3/4. Make sure you TAKE ALOT of pictures and measurements before you take out your stringers and interior. Heck you have more interior than I thought.

I thought I would have at least another 2ft.

Welcome to iBoats!
Lots of work ahead. Do you have a motor located? Have you decided on a budget? Have you taken LOTS of Pre-Measurements of EVERYTHING prior to starting your demolition? You WILL need them when you start the "Go-Back" work. Take LOTS of pics of EVERYTHING now and everystep of the way. You WILL reference them later. This will help get you started with what you'll be doing...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms and this PDF file will help you with what you'll need..
One of the keys is to try and do a little bit, every day and stay focused. LIFE always gets in the way and it's easy to lose focus and the project slips away. If you write down a plan/checklist on a daily basis and then check off the task EVERYDAY you'll be surprised how much and how fast you'll get to the end and be on the water!!!!

Keep posting pix and asking questions and the members here on the forum will be sure to help you all along the way!!!

Thanks woodonglass! I do not have a budget or a motor. The popular motor for this boat is a 3.0l mercruiser. I've also seen the 4.3l in them. I've been taking a lot of pics and measurements along the way. I haven't taken any measurements of the stringers yet nor have I started taking them out. I will try to do a little bit everyday, although I work 3 12hr shifts at the hospital, it will leave 4 days in the week to work on honeydo lists and boat.

Welcome to the dry dock mate :) I noticed the outdrive is missing also. Did you take it out and bought the boat without it? She is a looker, I hope you got a good deal. Will be watching and hopefully helping down the road

Thanks DeepBlue2010! I bought her without the outdrive. I paid $200 for her with trailer. I figured the trailer was worth that alone (although it needs updating as well).