Auto Cad for designing a rebuild

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I just discovered something important. Last week, I upgraded to Windows 10, as offered freely to anyone with Windows 7 or 8. I usually wait til I really need to upgrade, but from what I'd heard, the introduction was going smoothly. After upgrading, I had trouble with some of the features I was attempting to use in SolidWorks 2013. After doing a little googling, it seems that at this time, apparently Windows 10 is not playing nice with SolidWorks.

According to what I read, it's now up to SolidWorks support to tinker their software to make it compatible. The article indicated that SolidWorks will be upgrading rev 2014 and 2015. No mention of 2013. So, yesterday I reverted back to Windows 7 as offered freely by Microsoft's Windows 10 install guide. What is worthy of note is that this is offered FOR 30 DAYS ONLY! So, beware of upgrading and check compatibility of your software before committing. I still have some residual bugs to clean up in the mess that this has created for me. - Grandad

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I just discovered something important. Last week, I upgraded to Windows 10, as offered freely to anyone with Windows 7 or 8. I usually wait til I really need to upgrade, but from what I'd heard, the introduction was going smoothly. After upgrading, I had trouble with some of the features I was attempting to use in SolidWorks 2013. After doing a little googling, it seems that at this time, apparently Windows 10 is not playing nice with SolidWorks.

According to what I read, it's now up to SolidWorks support to tinker their software to make it compatible. The article indicated that SolidWorks will be upgrading rev 2014 and 2015. No mention of 2013. So, yesterday I reverted back to Windows 7 as offered freely by Microsoft's Windows 10 install guide. What is worthy of note is that this is offered FOR 30 DAYS ONLY! So, beware of upgrading and check compatibility of your software before committing. I still have some residual bugs to clean up in the mess that this has created for me. - Grandad
I am lucky because I just did a fresh install on a seperate drive so I still have my whole old OS that I can get into in under 2 min. But yes it is expected that some software will have issues with Windows 10 and some won't be updated.

BillP

Captain
Have fun with autocad and be aware of the tolerance settings. It can bite you when parts are cut from acad generated (not yours) dimensions and leave you with parts that fit too tight to assemble. You boat is not symetrical in acad terms so also be aware that mirroring may not work..(measuring 1/2 of the boat and expecting the other side to be exactly the same) may leave you dissapointed when you cut parts and find they don't fit like the dwg shows. The good news here is this problem can usually be corrected wtih gap filling or trimming when doing boat projects. I personally used acad mostly for templates on small design parts, model airplane plans, etc. but never on boat floor, transoms and stringer.