Auto Cad for designing a rebuild

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone here used Auto Cad for plans for their rebuild at all? If so did you download anything that helped with it? I am pretty new to Auto Cad so still learning..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IMHO that is WAY overthinking it. Just dive in and "Git er Dun!!!" It's not that precise or detailed that you need AutoCad to do anything for you. A pencil and notebook is about as detailed as you'll need to be. A Camera will be your best friend to remind you where you came from and a tape measure with notes will tell you what she was before you ripped her apart and where she needs to be when you put her back together.:thumb::rockon:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
IMHO that is WAY overthinking it. Just dive in and "Git er Dun!!!" It's not that precise or detailed that you need AutoCad to do anything for you. A pencil and notebook is about as detailed as you'll need to be. A Camera will be your best friend to remind you where you came from and a tape measure with notes will tell you what she was before you ripped her apart and where she needs to be when you put her back together.:thumb::rockon:
"Git er Dun" Won't work for me, I am not good with tools or anything that involves real work. I am a computer guy so planning it out detailed will give me a better chance of not screwing it up. Camera will be used along the way to help know where things go and were.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
JoshOnt, I haven't used AutoCAD because I used newer design tools. I use to use (before retirement) Solid Works and Visio. Solid Works is an amazing design tool that not only allows you to design most anything, but it also shows you if the parts fit together without any issues. And then you can even rotate the project to any angle or view in 3D to verify what you are designing. Nice design tool that is the standard in so many high end Computer design labs these days. It also allows you to exert stress forces to see what will wear out the fastest and/or breakdown first. And you can also have a mechanical assembly operating to see how everything works in motion as well. However, before doing Solid Works, I used a program called Visio. It is a 2D design program that was basically setup for flow charts and such. However, I pushed that beyond the usual flow chart program into 3D circuits and machinery and testing equipment designs for our lab. And for a lot of simpler designs (circuit boards and woodworking projects) I still use Vision too at home. I have my boat project laid out in Visio presently... :thumb:

tpenfield

Staff member
I didn't think any of us are good enough at comp-u-ters to be messing with CAD software :D

I have done a little bit of that for my bulkhead replacement last year, but more at a conceptual level and not precise enough to determine interferences and fit.

What would be nice is one of those laser thingys that spin around and capture the dimensions. That way you could get your CAD objects set up in less time.

We have seen some issues on threads here from time to time where things did not fit so well going back together. Of course, not every dimension is as critical as the next on a rebuild. Probably more of an issue on the more modern 2-piece hull & cockpit design boats.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
I am a principal software systems architect in a fortune 500 company. No stranger to computers and design tools by any stretch of imagination. And I am a firm believer that good planing will increase your chances of success - in anything - but WoodOnGlass has a point and you might want to consider another approach.

You will not be designing the boat from scratch, rather you will be rebuilding it the way it was. Modeling the boat on a CAD program will sure look nice, take a ton of time but this is about it. It will provide very little to your progress than a good sketch on a piece of paper. You mentioned that you are not good with tools and actual work, well this is what is this specific job requires; a lot of skills.

If you have already decided to tackle this job with your own hands, don't get yourself caught in the "paralysis of the analysis". If you were a pro in CAD and it would take you few hours to do it, I would not be wasting anytime talking you out of it. But you said you are new to CAD and also you still have a steep learning curve to climb in boat rebuilding. The very first two lessons you will learn while you are climbing this curve is that you will ALWAYS under estimate the hours required to get anything done and you will ALWAYS be behind schedule.

so, I wouldn't waste anytime drawing pretty pictures if I were you and I will get to the work right away. Use the KISS principal

THIS IS NOT TO SAY DON'T PLAN. I wouldn't be qualified for my job if I say so, it is just about how you plan so that your plan by itself is not a roadblock for your progress.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I realize we are all simply rebuilding boats that in all seriousness, just don't need micro-millimeter precision to complete. BUT, some folks really enjoy using such software as part of their hobby efforts. And if Josh happens to such a person, I certainly will not discourage him in the least. So if that is how you enjoy doing projects, I say have at it. We still can offer guidance if need be. So don't let any of use discourage your efforts. Just understand boat rebuilding isn't as complicated as you may envision... JMHO!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Josh. I agree with some of the points made previously. I always use SolidWorks before starting a project. It can take a lot of time, but hey, our winters are long and I'm retired. Whether it's worthwhile kinda depends on what renos you're planning. CAD is excellent for new concepts and for ensuring that things fit together functionally. I didn't have any CAD experience before sitting down to learn it by myself, just for my boat alterations. I started about 10 years ago, designing a triple pontoon houseboat about 27' long. I lowered my sights and used it a lot for my Starcraft. I wouldn't be without it now for many other projects. See post here as an example. - Grandad
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...oliday-reno-and-hull-repair/page6#post6459653

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
My reasoning behind wanting to use Auto Cad over Solid Works is simply because I can get it free thanks to being a student but Solid Works costs. Would much rather use Solid Works as I have some experience with it (4 years of high school classes). Either way, maybe using Auto Cad is not the best idea, will have to come up with another idea of how to plan it in detail..

If you have already decided to tackle this job with your own hands, don't get yourself caught in the "paralysis of the analysis". If you were a pro in CAD and it would take you few hours to do it, I would not be wasting anytime talking you out of it. But you said you are new to CAD and also you still have a steep learning curve to climb in boat rebuilding. The very first two lessons you will learn while you are climbing this curve is that you will ALWAYS under estimate the hours required to get anything done and you will ALWAYS be behind schedule.

so, I wouldn't waste anytime drawing pretty pictures if I were you and I will get to the work right away. Use the KISS principal

THIS IS NOT TO SAY DON'T PLAN. I wouldn't be qualified for my job if I say so, it is just about how you plan so that your plan by itself is not a roadblock for your progress.
I don't think I can get far behind... well the plan as it stands is to only do cosmetic stuff so hopefully that is not too hard.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Can ya teach that cad thing how to hold on to a grinder ! If so I say go for it ! :D
Just Joshin ya Josh ! If it helps you keep track of things and you have the time I could see where it may help . But sooner or later you have to jump on in and get dirty ! :joyous:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Can ya teach that cad thing how to hold on to a grinder ! If so I say go for it ! :D
Just Joshin ya Josh ! If it helps you keep track of things and you have the time I could see where it may help . But sooner or later you have to jump on in and get dirty ! :joyous:
I am starting to get dirt this weekend by figure out if I need to replace the transom or not. I know the floor is solid but no clue about the transom.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
"Git er Dun" Won't work for me, I am not good with tools or anything that involves real work. I am a computer guy so planning it out detailed will give me a better chance of not screwing it up. Camera will be used along the way to help know where things go and were.

Hmmm, I fear that if this in fact is a TRUE statement you will have a very difficult time restoring a boat. It takes a lot of REAL WORK and a LOT of Skill using Tools to "Git er Dun". And the bottom line is, you eventually have to!!!! I'm a computer guy too.! Have been for over 20 years, but I haven't been all my life. I grew up on a farm and learned how to use tools before computers existed. I think you should learn about tools too!!!;)

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Hmmm, I fear that if this in fact is a TRUE statement you will have a very difficult time restoring a boat. It takes a lot of REAL WORK and a LOT of Skill using Tools to "Git er Dun". And the bottom line is, you eventually have to!!!! I'm a computer guy too.! Have been for over 20 years, but I haven't been all my life. I grew up on a farm and learned how to use tools before computers existed. I think you should learn about tools too!!!;)
Learning how to build things is why I am planning to work on the boat. At this point I know how to fill it up and drive it lol not much past that.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well this IS...

So you've come to the RIGHT place. Post up some pics of your project and start firin' away with your questions and you'll get some of the most educated and experienced answers that you'll find anywhere on the interweb!!! :D;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Josh, If you do happen to install you boat project into AutoCAD or better yet SolidWorks, don't delete it ever. So many others could use those intricate and precisely measured drawings for their rebuild efforts for sure... Maybe even be a sideline job there... :thumb:

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have used AutoCad on my current project for several items, but its just a tool. Much like a grinder, drill, or screw driver. By itself it wont get the project done, but it can help with certain aspects of your project. I travel extensively so for me time at my boat can be at a premium so I will design and test fit certain items when I am on the road via cad just to have a rough idea if they will fit. That being said I DID NOT lay out my whole rebuild via cad. For example, while redoing my tank I wanted to eliminate foaming the tank in and there were some fitment issues from the factory, so I drew up the tank and coffin in CAD which allowed me to fit the tank in the boat, but also gave me a set of prints to provide the fabricator for the new tank so that I could be sure of a good fit. Also used it to have new dash panels laser'ed out and to create offshore mounts for my engines. So it can come in handy, but as others said, I wouldn't go out of my way to learn it if I didn't already know it and have the software to do the project. So if you already know ACAD or Solid Works then by all means, a little time up front on the CAD can save a lot of design iteration mistakes.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Josh, I use CAD everyday....sometimes more than I want to! You can for sure use it to create an as-built of your boat, and use it for reference down the road. It is an investment in time, but nothing wrong with that, it will just extend your rebuild time. I mostly make sketches and templates when I rebuild a boat. From time to time I will draw a specific part for planning purposes, typically if it is something that isn't original to the boat....like adding a swim platform for example. I do always draw up a wiring diagram, just so I will work out the circuits before I start....and so I can remember what I am supposed to be doing. CAD works great for that.

Rebuilding them takes a lot of elbow grease, but Wood is right, you can get great advise on here, and help from a lot of knowledgeable people. Just take your time and ask questions, next thing you know you will have a lot good old blood sweat and tears skills! Remember, take the build one step at a time, and pace yourself!

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey JoshO," Git er Dun!!!" I'm with Woodonglass don't over think it. Take a look at my rebuild you'll think that I need my head examined :sad:.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Hey JoshO," Git er Dun!!!" I'm with Woodonglass don't over think it. Take a look at my rebuild you'll think that I need my head examined :sad:.
You boat looks like a great project. It is one of the types I was looking at when finding a hull. I went 'speedboat' as I have no kids to think of luckly.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Josh, I use CAD everyday....sometimes more than I want to! You can for sure use it to create an as-built of your boat, and use it for reference down the road. It is an investment in time, but nothing wrong with that, it will just extend your rebuild time. I mostly make sketches and templates when I rebuild a boat. From time to time I will draw a specific part for planning purposes, typically if it is something that isn't original to the boat....like adding a swim platform for example. I do always draw up a wiring diagram, just so I will work out the circuits before I start....and so I can remember what I am supposed to be doing. CAD works great for that.

Rebuilding them takes a lot of elbow grease, but Wood is right, you can get great advise on here, and help from a lot of knowledgeable people. Just take your time and ask questions, next thing you know you will have a lot good old blood sweat and tears skills! Remember, take the build one step at a time, and pace yourself!
I saw your thread and that was the one that made the decision final to take and try a rebuild. Boat looks great. Yeah I figured since I have no idea how to plan it out or build it maybe best to design everything before hand and build following instructions and a design plan. Will be getting measurements this weekend to start the planning. Also going to be taking some pictures and figuring out if I need to replace stringers or not. Transom I know I need to do some work on since it has been damaged on the outside getting it on a trailer to move it.