New flooring questions

ejdemers

Cadet
I just upgraded to a 91 fourwinns freedom 190 from a Starcraft 16'. The freedom was in final stage of a floor restore when the guy put it up for sale do to a wife buying a new house. All the deck is in. Now I'm left to seal it, paint it because the carpet is not looking so good.
ok my questions are:
1. Should I glass the seems & what should I use? Buddy said to use regular fiberglass resin & cloth.
2.What to use on sealing off the floor totally from water?
3. Can I use deck restore?
4. What can I use on the edges where the floor meets the haul? It doesn't run flush & level to the haul angle. I'm thinking bondo?

tpenfield

Staff member
Is the new floor laid down over the old floor? Often with a soft floor there is more work that needs to be done, and I am wondering if it was done.

Can you give us a little more background on this boat?

ejdemers

Cadet
Sure can. Last owner swapped out the whole top half of boats. He got 1 the interior was bad & 1 with a busted haul w/ perfect interior. So he removed both boats top half & made 1 good one. It has the 4.3 cobra in it & it's very clean.19'8" boat. Old floor was removed, just the decking thought as he said the rest was still solid. He never wanted to sell it but his wife went to an open house the day before he posted it & bought a new house for their family & it needed hardwood floors. Only reason, the whole time that was all he kept saying. & it turns out I know him after all. I'm taking pictures now & will post after shopping

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds interesting, looking forward to the pictures.

BTW - I think you mean to say 'hull' when you are saying 'haul' . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
Often, I click the paper clip icon on the post dialog box. As long as you have pics that are adjusted in size so that they are 200KB or less, they will upload and you can insert them in your posts as desired.

I also use a photobucket approach where you insert a photo link using the photo icon (also in the post dialog box once you click the "A" icon to expand all of the tools)

ejdemers

Cadet
After talking to the previous owner, he said he put new foam in & replaced the stringers. I talk to Joe @ Merton s today & he suggested to use this wood putty he has instead of bondo to level the floor & fill in the sides were the deck seems to stop. What is a good sealer to use after I level it because I'm thinking of using some type of deck restore for the final. What do you think?

tpenfield

Staff member
Once you have things level, you will want to fiberglass over the entire deck and up the sides of the hull about 6-8" for strength.

ejdemers

Cadet
I'm going to use west systems epoxy for a sealer/ filler. What do you recommend for the glassing?

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you already decided to use epoxy then you have chosen the best product. A less costly alternative is polyester resin. Mostly used here. Does not bond as well, but is more than good enough.

Both can be used to fill as well.

But....

Your principal issue is you have no idea what is under that deck. If he did not seal the underside; it will have a short life no matter what you do to the topside.

If those are the top of stringers I am looking at in that picture, they don't appear to be glassed or resin'd over. Odd not to do that before putting a deck on.

May want to keep poking into it, see if its done right before breaking out resin.

ejdemers

Cadet
Thanks very much guys. Unfortunately he glued the decking down, so it's not coming up unless I. Want to do some demo. Which i don't. Maybe in 5yrs I will redo the entire floor the right way.