Soft Transom

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have Glastron 14' run-a-bout with a 50hp motor on it. I have noticed a crack in the fiber glass on top on the transom. The transom seems to be solid however. I have heard about transom braces, would this be an option? Traines1938 PS Tried to post some pic's but could not. I get a unknown error

Tnstratofam

Commander
Post two more times and then try posting pictures it should work then. Most people here post pics using a photo hosting site like photobucket. It's free and is a pretty good way to post pics directly to your posts.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys, Not familiar with the photobucket program. I use photo shop V7, I can edit the pictures and size them in that program. I guess I will make up a couple more post and see if that works tnstratofam suggested.

redfury

Commander
If you have a google account, you can load the pictures up to your google drive and then link to the picture by using the URL of the image in between these two guys right here...NO SPACES
like this

[/img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nwHngJqiIdQ/VaCSnIQ59_I/AAAAAAAAMM0/QZK5Vy-F_F8/s1152-Ic42/20150709_154203.jpg[/img]

the "/" stops the action. so you'd begin your brackets with IMG , insert your URL ( image address ) after the bracket and then close the command with brackets with /IMG

So, in order to show you the URL to my picture without showing you my picture, I used a "/" at the beginning which cancels the command before it starts.

Last edited:

redfury

Commander
Oh, and transom braces are usually a temporary fix to a permanent problem. If you are getting transom rot, it's not going to stop until you replace it. Depending on your approach, it's really not as hard as it seems. It all depends on what level you want to go to, in order to keep using the boat...keeping in mind your ability to tackle a fairly in depth repair.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
A crack doesn't necessarily mean a rotted transom. Does the transom flex if you push on the engine un or down with substantial force?
Get inside the boat and take core samples of your transom and inspect the wood shavings. Normal wood color and dry, you are good. Blackish and wet, the transom is shot.

Unlike photoshop, photobucket is not a picture editing program. It is a hosting website that allows you to store your picture. Then you can post you picture here using the link that photobucket is providing you.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Interesting pix!!! Got any more of the entire boat?? It appears the back of the transom is wood???? It also appears the clamp bolts may be punching into the wood indicating it's a bit soft and spongy, which is not a good sign. How old is this boat? I suspect she may be vintage??? Give us some more specific details and we'll be able to help diagnose the problem a lot better.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The boat is a 1968. That is what the title says. tried to upload some pic's but I get an unknown error. I will have to get back with Tony

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just from the small amount I can see in those couple of images, it appears that you probably have a soft transom, I seem to be able to see a hint of it bowing a bit besides the clamp punching into the wood.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your right MTboatguy. I have told that I can brace it with a 6060-T6 aluminum I thought I would try that. Since all I use the boat for fishing.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Braces are not safe solution and it can endanger your life and those who are with you on the boat. If the transom is rotted, most likely some other structural parts of your vessel are as well. It is time to restore or retire her.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Here is the whole boat guys

Attachments

• photo229595.jpg
    photo229595.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 0