Free

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow that's gonna be nice when you get done. Bring her back to life with pride. Ha this is to funny,my boat was free, AND NOW i get to tell you the same thing tpenfield told me... It wont be free for long...:joyous: I'm going to follow along for your restore. Good luck..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I believe it an old crusader motor. Crusader is now part of pleasure craft marine.

g1vetter

Seaman
I know she looks rough but that's just lipstick and rouge. Even though this is a winter project, and I intend to wait until the weather is cooled off in the Fall, I just had to see if I could get her running.

She Lives!! Purred like a kitten and the Transmission shifted well and turned the prop like I think she should.

Good Day today.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
That is great news. Prior to dropping her in, i would change the rudder gland packing and the stuffing box packing.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah my boat was free too...... And it ran when i picked it up too.....

Look at the rams they prob have a name on them, or the switch at the helm. If no name take a pic of each.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Joe, post 7 shows a Bennett hydraulic pump. Most likely a Bennett system. g1vetter, pm tabman on here. He works for Bennett and would be a ton of help getting your trim tabs back in operation

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
better mechanics here than me, but a 351w (Windsor) might be more economical than the 351 Cleveland. I have a Trojan F26 inboard (old '80 model) -- second inboard I've had, and like them. No outdrive issues if playing with an old boat. Remember, she will walk to port when backing in to your slip -- when you get up to that.

and speaking of slips, might be worth finding a trailer for it depending on your planned use. great for storage if nothing else, and good for resale.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its a boat, nothing economical about them unless powered by oars or sails.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Very nice and looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Growing up on the Fox River/ Chain o Lakes there were a ton of those class boats running it. Mostly ChrisCraft and Owens in the 24' to 32' range. All with inboards.
Today I live on a much small lake and those would have no place, Mostly because the water is just too shallow to run 1/2 of it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Look for wiring in or near bilge (corrosion). '70s Chris Craft I had ran the wire harness down there -- finally found the short that was shutting it down.

g1vetter

Seaman
I'm in Jacksonville FL. Between the St Johns and the Ocean, plenty of water around here. Hopefully, over the winter I'll be able to go through this project Bow to Stern.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
salt water country -- double down on corrosion watch (electricals). nice boat, good project.

g1vetter

Seaman
I need to get a pair of seats/pedestals. This boat has tracks on the sides and I think the seat pedestals connect there and the bottom of the pedestal is bent back in to brace/support the seat. (rather than the standard vertical post) Anybody know what this style of pedestal is called?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I need to get a pair of seats/pedestals. This boat has tracks on the sides and I think the seat pedestals connect there and the bottom of the pedestal is bent back in to brace/support the seat. (rather than the standard vertical post) Anybody know what this style of pedestal is called?

Never seen anything that looked like what I think you're describing

Got pix?

Last edited: