Considering buying boat that has some blisters

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I found a 2005 Larson on craigslist that I really like. only show stoppers is some blisters that the owner pointed out on bottom of hull. There were about a handfull of quarter sized blisters on bottom of hull around the same area that appeared to be hard. Should I avoid buying this boat? My current boat is 30 years and doesn't have any blisters, should I still with it and not buy newer boat?

alldodge

Staff member
So I found a 2005 Larson on craigslist that I really like. only show stoppers is some blisters that the owner pointed out on bottom of hull. There were about a handfull of quarter sized blisters on bottom of hull around the same area that appeared to be hard. Should I avoid buying this boat? My current boat is 30 years and doesn't have any blisters, should I still with it and not buy newer boat?

According to your sig, your current boat is a 19 footer, easy trailerable. If this next boat has a trailer and you plan to keep it on it then there is not much issue, go buy it. Now if this is a large boat and has to sit in the water let us know, and are answers may change

jbcurt00

Staff member
The blisters arent likely to be repairable so if they bother you, you expect it to be an easy or inexpensive, keep looking.

Use the advanced search feature of the forums and search for

Hull blisters

Our resident resin expert Ondarvr has discussed hull blister at length in LOTS of topics

tpenfield

Staff member
Quarter sized blisters on a Larson . . . . . I think I would pass, unless it is a good enough deal to justify you fixing those blisters and the others that may come along soon. I wonder why the seller did not get them fixed ahead of time :noidea:

FWIW - My Formula 330 had some early stage blisters when I had it inspected pre-purchase. I decided that they were early enough that I could fix them all by myself . . . plus I was going to put barrier coat on the hull anyway to prevent / reduce any further water penetration into the gelcoat. (blisters)

Many fresh water boats will have blisters . . .

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've noticed that my old ebbtide has gelcoat over the glass such as in the bildge/back area. Seems like a well built boat, not all new boats I've looked at have this. I was looking at the interior of the hull on this larson, such as in the bilge area and it was just a yellow color. Kinda looked like just plain resin with no other protection on top of it. Kinda stinks, I really liked everything else about this boat.

alldodge

Staff member
In most cases the white color in the bilge area is epoxy paint