put screw into plastic gas tank in boat NOW WHAT

kylake

Cadet
Fixed one thing now big problem.put small screw into plastic gas tank in boat,pulled screw out,drained gas.was going to take tank out but it is under all kind of welded in brackets.its a tracker boat.so now can I get some kind of expoy​ put in hole put screw in and expoy over that?:mad-new: HELP

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Clean it really well with Xylene and then use JB Weld to fix it. Try hard to get the goop into the hole as much as possible and then coat the outside well. The plastic is tough to mend but you might be surprised. JBW is some pretty good stuff.;)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Take the screw out, make a rubber washer, clean around the hole, take the screw, put it through a metal washer, the rubber washer, dab some 3M 5200 around the hole and put the screw back in. All you have to do is seal around the threads and the head of the screw..

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Fixed one thing now big problem.put small screw into plastic gas tank in boat,pulled screw out,drained gas.was going to take tank out but it is under all kind of welded in brackets.its a tracker boat.so now can I get some kind of expoy​ put in hole put screw in and expoy over that?:mad-new: HELP

You could probably weld that up with a propane plumbers torch.

... but seriously, get some 3M 5200 and coat the threads of the same screw you made the hole with. After the threads are coated good drive the screw back into the hole and forget about it.

If you try mashing goop into a hole in a gas tank you'll probably end up with goop balls in your tank pickup tube screen or in your fuel filter.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I use my HF heat gun and some plastic welding rod when I do something like that, fixes it right up and lasts just as long as the tank.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You've got into a situation here that needs some thought. You definitely want it to be a permanent fix and have NO leaks.

It's most likely a poly tank, a special type of plastic not much if anything will stick to. JB weld even the plastic repair stuff won't stick to poly. A couple times the tank expands and the repair will pop off.

If you use rubber on the screw the gas will eat it. If it's a ferrous metal screw then the ethanol will eat it.

The best any wet type product out there will claim is "gasoline resistant."

If it were my tank I would get a short stainless steel screw with teeth for metal, one size larger than the hole made by the one that created this problem. Next go by the auto parts house and get a gas rated o ring that will fit snugly on the screw. The gas rated o ring should be red in color and are fibrous so once you get it on the screw don't pull it back off or you'll ruin it.

Oh and do not over tighten the screw!

Last edited:

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
What ever you do. Be careful if decide glad use butane torches or heat guns. You don't want to catch fire of hurt yourself with an explosion. :)

Just shooting an arrow out here ---- maybe use a electric soldering gun to melt the plastic over the hole use a tie wrap as filler sounds bush league but may work. Just a thought.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I WOULD never use a butane torch on a gas tank. That said, you can buy plastic welding rods that are rated for poly fuel tanks, the key to making it work is get the tank hot enough to soften and break the surface of the poly, then melt the welding rod into it, I have done quite a few holes in poly tanks over the last few years and have never had one pop out. NEVER use an open flame to try and fix a fuel tank, bad, bad bad.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm going to clarify my suggestion. For the rubber use a piece of ethanol-proof fuel line split and flattened. Use the same size screw, I don't see a need to make a larger hole. Stainless is a good material so it doesn't rust, not on the inside, but on the outside since most boats have some humidity and/or water splashing around. The 5200 is a permanent, but flexible, fuel-proof adhesive. The purpose of the rubber and 5200 is to maintain a seal during the expansion and contraction cycles.

JB Weld won't stick with the expansion and contraction of the tank, it will fail. I wouldn't use a heat gun or a torch on my gas tank - IMHO.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have no hair to give to the cause, only eyebrows. :rolleyes::watermelon:

I have plenty of hair, bu for some reason have no eyebrows left! You would been amazed at some of the junk we did while I was in the service, it is a wonder I am still here being a pain in your guys side!

:D

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Simplest is best... Good quality sealant and put the screw back in the hole.
I plug plastic tanks like that all the time.

Occasionally inspect the screw for corrosion. replace as needed (with more sealant) that will be a few years if not exposed to salt water.

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since alot of newer cars have swapped over to plastic tanks, the aouto parts stores usually carry a regular made for plastic tank repair 2 part epoxy that works pretty well. Tried the jb weld and it never seems to stick all that well to plastic since they expand diff it usually sepertes from surface and only thing holding it in is what is pushed through the hole. Basically ajb weld cork. I prefer the epoxy I mentioned since it is made specifically for fuel tanks and direct contact with gasoline.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I would use the 2 part epoxy around a screw and maybe even add a rubber gasket, run the screw in the tank and be done with it.

kylake

Cadet
Which 3m 5200 I have seen 2 one in red package,one in blue package,which one do I want?thanks for all the help:)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would get the quick cure 5200, the regular cure takes 7 days.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I been thunkin, and I knowz datz dangerus but... whut about the ole' Testors Model Glue?? You know the old Sniffin Glue!!!! That stuff is impervious to fuel, it dang near melts plastic, dries hard as nails and I'm thunkin might be the ticket for this kind of repair. But then again, mebee not. I might get some and try it jest fer fun!!!:eek::D;)

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I been thunkin, and I knowz datz dangerus but... whut about the ole' Testors Model Glue?? You know the old Sniffin Glue!!!! That stuff is impervious to fuel, it dang near melts plastic, dries hard as nails and I'm thunkin might be the ticket for this kind of repair. But then again, mebee not. I might get some and try it jest fer fun!!!:eek::D;)

Testors 'glue' is a solvent for polystyrene. It won't work on polyethylene.