damaged boat

Laduckhunter

Seaman
My friend and I own a 1976 Terry Standard(I think it is a standard). Said friend launched the trailer/boat into a ditch after incorrectly hooking up the trailer, hitting a tree. I have been doing some basic research on fiberglass and repair and seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here that would point me in the right direction.

Previous to this incident, I have fished out of it 15-20 times without any issues
Should I separate the top from the hull to check for damage to the stringers? I have no idea what it looks like under the boat, maybe this would be an opportunity to do so? How bad does the floor crack look? The rest of the damage doesn't seem that bad to me? Then again, my knowledge is limited. I do have a friend which has worked with fiberglass and is wiling to help with whatever I need. He has no clue about boats or what effect this damage had on the structural integrity.

Front of boat
IMG_20150705_064052372.jpg

Front of the boat.closeup
IMG_20150705_073424479.jpg

Cracking on the front of the hull, left side
IMG_20150705_074233187.jpg

Crack on hull, right side
IMG_20150705_073424479.jpg

Crack on hull, left side
IMG_20150705_074233187.jpg

Close up of the floor crack
IMG_20150705_074155867.jpg

Overall look of floor crack
IMG_20150705_064119952.jpg

​Any welcome would be greatly appreciated!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard Laduckhunter, great to have you join iboats...

Okay seems some issues with the boat moving and whatever it hit not... You came to the best place on the net to fix that up like new. It would be impossible to tell how much internal damage is done without some investigation. So if you are interested in bringing that boat back to better then new, I see some work ahead for you. If it were my boat, I would remove the top to see exactly what lies beneath. Because between the accident, that obviously did some damage, and the age of the hull, you could have other issues with deteriorating rotted material as well. So if you are up to the work, lets go... Bare in mind that it is some nasty, dirty, smelly, itchy, labor intensive work. But if you finish the project, you will have a better then new fishing boat for as long as you want it... First thing to do is snap tons of pictures both inside and out. Then post some on here for us to see exactly what you are dealing with. Make sure to take some side shots of the entire boat so we can see that total boat to get a better idea what type it is. Close ups are great. but lack the total picture... Others certainly will chime in here with quality suggestions as well... :thumb:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes you don't want to hear the answer, but it might be better to cut your loses and look for another boat. Proper repairs are going to be extensive and expensive - Is it really worth it?

Laduckhunter

Seaman
Sometimes you don't want to hear the answer, but it might be better to cut your loses and look for another boat. Proper repairs are going to be extensive and expensive - Is it really worth it?

Honestly, if it wasn't something I fix for a max $300 excluding labor, I wouldn't worry about it immediately as it doesn't solve the issue that I have nothing to fish in. I will definitely keep and fix it sometime, It is a perfect boat for some brakes I fish which require a narrow boat to through 80% cypress trees. The trailer and the boat only cost $400. Most of the money is wrapped up in the trolling motor and battery, thankfully the trolling motor only has a broken shaft, which I can repair easily enough.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you, I have definitely learned a lot in the last 7 days on this site!

One thing to keep in mind. If YOU like the boat and want it fixed, then it is worth it to YOU. Everybody has to make that determination themselves. But if you want to repair it, let us know. WE will certainly help you out... :thumb:

Laduckhunter

Seaman
One thing to keep in mind. If YOU like the boat and want it fixed, then it is worth it to YOU. Everybody has to make that determination themselves. But if you want to repair it, let us know. WE will certainly help you out... :thumb:

I think I want to at least do a better assessment. I really do love the boat and it was built only 45 miles from where I live. I want to checkout underneath to see what is going on. It is recommended to drill out the rivets underneath the rubrail and take off the entire top? Is there any other way to inspect the underneath? Possibly cutting a hole for inspection?

Laduckhunter

Seaman
Just for more information. If there is wood underneath, it can't be much. It seems like the flooring is pretty dang close to being at the bottom of the hull.

Laduckhunter

Seaman
I just went through something similar.your really going to have to open her up to see what your up against... you might want to take a quick read through this thread you may be able to get some helpful info.http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...d-hull-repair/9970243-is-this-hull-repairable

Thank you for posting the link. I feel like if you can fix that amount of major damage, I should be able to fix this, smaller amount of damage :) Your build contained a lot of valuable information, thank you once again!

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No problem. Your in the right place there are a ton of very helpful folk on this site. Take photos of the project as you go. Make sure you get the proper safety equipment for working with fiberglass it was the best money I spent on my project made steps throughout the whole process much easier knowing I could really get in there and grind cut and sand without worries about the breathing in the dust and know I got that the itch is going to be kept down to next to none. Good luck with your project!

Laduckhunter

Seaman
Thanks for all of your help. I ended up buying a 1991 Skeeter SS-140D with a 115HP Mercury. The training wheels are off :) Super excited to own my first boat with an outboard.