Transom job gone bad

BFP

Cadet
image_224594.jpg image_224595.jpg 0051.jpg 0041.jpg I did a poured transom job and i guess i missed few minor details and didnt have it supported as good as i had thought, but anyways the outer transom skin is sucked in in the middle of the transom. I'm going to try and level it out by glassing in the low spots so i can mount the motor and jack plate and need some onfo on what to use and procedure...Do i have to grind all the gel coat off to clean glass? and what kind of matt would i use to fill up the low spots? i did oreder some 1.5 ounce continuous strand matt which when dry is .045 thick and when wet is .060 thick from what i read would 1708 be better? i need to fill in about a 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch low spot. heres a couple of pics...the area in red marker is what i have to level up or fill in....thanks...

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Welcome to Iboats BFP

Yup..all the gelcoat has to come off before you glass. It looks like that thing got pretty hot.

I would go with the 1708. 1/4" is gonna take about 5 or 6 layers. If you get some safety glass to slap up there after your build-up..you end up with a nice smooth surface. Ya know..duct tape it on the bottom so it hinges..then do your layups..hing it up and tape it secure till its cured. This is what I would do anyway..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Seacast does heat up good bit .. I have done 2 transoms with it .. I tend to want to think of it as pouring concrete .. The better the form work the better the finished product .. Once it's dry it's there forever . At least it looks like an easy fix ..
Hey YD , what do you mean by "safety glass" . Is that just a layer of of glass to keep the resin from running down .. Do the multi layups then pull it up past and tape it off .. roll it out . Let dry then sand ..

BFP

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome...

So how do i layer the glass....start small and work my way out with the build up?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
So how do i layer the glass....start small and work my way out with the build up?

Yup. After your grind out you can take your straight edge and make marks for each level of thickness. Cut your fiberglass from the largest then progressively smaller.

Hey YD , what do you mean by "safety glass" . Is that just a layer of of glass to keep the resin from running down .. Do the multi layups then pull it up past and tape it off .. roll it out . Let dry then sand ..

I just use safety glass due to the temps I can get making stacks of fiberglass. But yea..hang your glass ( not fiberglass )..wet and roll out your fiberglass..then flip the glass pane up and secure it. You could use anything flat really..I just like to See whats under the window. After that you have a perfectly flat surface. Minor sanding after your done.

BFP

Cadet
Thanks for the information...... i guess i need to order some 1708...

BFP

Cadet
Ground all gelcoat out and waiting for my 1708 and a bubble roller to get here...got ot have a bubble roller...lol

0014.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to watch this project to see how it works out... :thumb:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You don't want continuous strand mat, it will sort of work if you use something as a form to make the laminate flat like YD suggested, but other than that its not easily usable.

BFP

Cadet
I also need some info on gel coating...i read somewhere to use high gloss duratec clear additive in my gelcoat and shouldnt need to add wax on final coat and should i go ahead and grind the rest of the gel coat of if im going to gelcoat the whole transom?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Only grind off the gel coat where you plan to add glass.

You can use Duratec clear or wax, no need for both.

BFP

Cadet
What about the gel coats that have the was already in them? Maybe i should of asked what would the best route to go to gelcoat my transom and or easiest?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
It shouldnt be a problem. Just keep hotcoating the gel til you have enough on there to be able to sand and buff. If it cures out before your done coating..just sand it with 120(ish) grit..wipe down..and go for another round.

You can scuff the existing gel with 120ish and coat right over it. No need to remove it all.

Good luck.

BFP

Cadet
I have some uneven and low spots where the jackplate is going to be mounted, can i use dyna glass(filler) to help level it out and make it smooth? and will it hold up under the jackplate?......transom is to be gel coated.