1980 Thunderbird Formula F-18

Today I just went and picked up my new (to me) 1980 Thundebird Formula F-18 OUTBOARD powered boat. I picked it up for a pretty good price but it does need a bit of work. Pics will be posted soon.

I am a new member here, and know very little about fiberglass, so if anyone wants to chime in with tips tricks or hints, please do!

I've done one restoration before on a 1972 Starcraft 16 super sport, that was easy though. This shal prove to be a fun, rewarding and challenging endeavor!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard 1980 formula outboard guy. Of course let's do this. Post those pictures and we can see what you're work with... :thumb:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The best way for pix is to open a free photobucket account, load your pix to there, then, in photobucket, click in the box just right of the "IMG", paste that into your post and the pix will show up nice and big like this...

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
See where my pointer is....the box next to "IMG", click on it (it will turn yellow and say copied) , then right click/paste or control/V, in your post and it will show up like this..

Last edited:
Hit a road block, turns out the guy I bought it from didn't have it on his name. It was last registered in WI in 2004 and I have to contact the original owner to get the title before MN will title it....

Ahh not what I wanted to do...

I got the title all straightened out today. Forward progress. I'm going to get a different wider and shorter trailer tomorrow. And I'll switch the boat onto that one and ditch this one. Anyone near Minneapolis area wants one feel free to pm me.

This weekend I hope to work on the glass on the lower hull. Once I get that done I'm hoping it will be easier to work on. The fiberglass is the one big thing I'm worried about. Also, looking for a 115-150 outboard of any brand (except the tall rounded old mercs) I don't like the look of them.

Any one have tips on fiberglassing for me? I'm gonna do a bit of touch up on the keel where it was beached rough, the eye on the front (someone winched a little hard) and the screw holes and mounts holes on the deck (but that will be after the initial glossing of the hull)

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Cool boat. I had a F206 hull looked just like yours. Good luck with it.

You're gonna want more motor ...

Attachments

• Formula2.jpg
    Formula2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
I love these Formulas, nice looking boat, and good luck with your project, I have a 1978 Formula Thunderbird FL20, which has been a lot of work, but I enjoy it. I upgraded my old OMC with a Ford 302 to a rebuilt 355 and Alpha sterndrive, the transom was in great shape considering her age, your project looks even more extensive.

Mark72233

Ensign
1980, cool boat I love Formulas. I have a 1972 Formula 233 I have been working on for the best year its been a lot of fun. I will be tagging along if you don't mind. :peep:

Well... I'm thinking I'm about done with this project. The stringers are rotten completely and the fiberglass de laminated... I'm gonna cut my losses now

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Cool boat ! The Formula's do have nice sleek lines ..
Why a shorter trailer ? That one looks almost too short now ..
Tagging along if there's room !
The good news is if ya get to the point in the resto that ya just feel like pulling your teeth out .. You can just take a short walk across the street ! :lol:

Well, I decided to go ahead on the project. I really love the boat and wasn't gonna let a little water slow me down...

My progress over the week...

Monday I went an got a trailer

And started the process of grinding and prepping for paint.

And painted it

And replaced the jack, put on the bunks and rewired the entire trailer (prepped for but waiting on the led reverse lights from Amazon)

And Friday I started stripping the boat to replace the floor, repair to deck and prep the hull for refinishing and hit a bit of a roadblock... Yep that's the ENTiRe hull under the deck filled with water!!!

But I stopped for the night, and thought about it for a day... And tore into it more today and found a little but of rot but the stringers still seem dry and fine! Just the bulk heads it seems are toast. So moving on to gutting the rest soon and gonna try to have a floor in it soon...

So this is where I'm at so far. Soon I hope to be in the rebuilding stage... But Rome wasn't built in a day.

I got a shorter (in height) trailer so it's not as tall heading down the road, and makes it easier to launch.

I think I've decided on a Mercury optimax in the 135-150 range. I'm okay with it being a bit of a gas hog... I would like the extra power it puts out though.

I am going to paint it, I'm looking for a high quality marine paint, anyone have any siguestions? I'm going a bright white on hull and a bright white non skid on the deck. The stripes are gonna be a vinyl graphic on the side. I'm also toying with the idea of hydraulic steering when I reassemble the boat. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Ok, I made some headway.

I'll post the pics soon but I picked up a 1989 evinrude 150 last week, tore the rest of the floor out, cleaned out all the water logged foam and discovered the damage was not that bad. The stringers are a two piece and only the top saw any moisture!!! I ordered the foam to reform after I replace and riveter glass the new stringers, and it's not here yet, so I'm in a holding pattern at the moment. But I did plop it on the new trailer, oh man!!! Fits like a glove and pulls like a dream!!!! I can't wait to drop her in the water for a spin soon!!!

I received misc goodies already like the seats, steering components, electrical components and hopefully everything to make her sea worthy. Now, I just need the foam, a case of beer, and the time to assemble the puzzle!!!

yjwilly

Recruit
Hows the restoration going ? or did you finish already. I,m gust starting mine ( this is my 3rd 18 footer )