1976 Volunte 14' Trihull Repair/Rebuild

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Before and after shots

How in the world were you able to work on it hanging from the sky....:facepalm:

It look good to me. Seems you do have a clue after all. May have to change you handle...

Keep the pictures coming... :thumb:

Nottaclue

Seaman
I think it turned out really good. I'm not worried too much about the texture and I don't think the crabs will mind, lol! Is there any other reason that a smooth surface is needed? Otherwise, I think I might skip the sanding. The coat really isn't that thick and I am worried that I would sand off spots and end up with a nightmare...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think it turned out really good. I'm not worried too much about the texture and I don't think the crabs will mind, lol! Is there any other reason that a smooth surface is needed? Otherwise, I think I might skip the sanding. The coat really isn't that thick and I am worried that I would sand off spots and end up with a nightmare...

When you do sanding on such gel coat finishes, you merely use 600 or even 800 or more grit wet and dry paper wetted as you sand. And that allows you to really sand everything smooth without cutting too much material off. Buy if you like how it looks then it is finished. Everybody has their own satisfaction level and therefore nothing is right or wrong. So do as you like and not what somebody lese says is right. There are no wrong finishes. I was merely picking on you about your previous pictures being posted upside down... :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Gel coat needs to be about 20mils thick (thickness of a penney) If you put wax in the final coat that kinda messes things up a bit but you could sand and wipe down with acetone and put on a couple more coats which would be ideal.

Nottaclue

Seaman
I'm still at least a couple days away from working on benches, but what is the best way to attach them to the sides. Also, any recommendations on material for benches?

Nottaclue

Seaman
Ok, so I decided to lay out the foam in strips and tape em down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0

Nottaclue

Seaman
I coated the underside of the deck with resin, but didn't have time to get a layer of CSM on before my help had to leave. The sides sucked up a good bit and I went over them a couple times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome Build! You can use Postimage.org for free image hosting.

Nottaclue

Seaman
No, I was hoping that the deck would survive with just the resin coating on the bottom. This was not the plan, but the weight of the plywood is too much for me to bring it in and out by myself.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, plywood soaked in polyester resin with no CSM is not going to do as much good as if you had added the CSM. When the wood flexes, and it will, the hardened resin, with out the fibers of the CSM to hold it together, will crack open and allow water to penetrate to the wood fibers. Even though it's the bottom of the plywood condensation can and will occur and moisture can and will accumulate under the deck. IF you keep the boat covered and maintain her well, you should still get a good long life from your deck. The resin coating alone will still be better than nothing at all.

Last edited:

Nottaclue

Seaman
I covered the top of the deck with resin, used 1708 on the seams, added CSM to the top of the deck and filled the gaps with peanut butter. I am planning to add strips of 1708 around the edges tomorrow...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Nottaclue

Seaman
Thanks Woodonglass. Your advice thoughout this project has really helped me keep moving along! The end is in sight. She will be ready to go by next summer!

Nottaclue

Seaman
I was able to go over the deck with a grinder to knock down some rough spots and then got the 1708 around the edges.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Nottaclue

Seaman
Attached some 2x6's to the sides for benches. I need to grind and sand again and then touch up a couple spots. I think I am going to paint the deck with gel coat before the seating goes in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0