Gel coat accidently sanded to primer

sailnaked6842

Recruit
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I bought a boat that was sight unseen (except for a few pictures) and it while all the mechanical components are good, there were tons of little nicks in the gel coat from debris. It appears either the previous owner had tried to repair some of these nicks and failed miserably since one location was sanded to the primer and every other location the patch was still below the surface. I purchased the gel coat patch kits from Spectrum and have been touching up the areas that were scratch/fill/sand, the area that I don't know how to do is the area where the primer is exposed. A strip about 1/4 in wide and 2 inches tall. I'm assuming he never filled this and sanded it out, or did a terrible job filling it and tried to sand it out. Either way, the hull is black and the primer is white. It's ugly. So, before I attempt to fill it with the Spectrum patch should I dremel out an area to lay a patch over or is there a better way since most of the gel coat has been removed in this area and it could be very thin?

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can you provide photo's of the area. May have to use Photobucket to post them though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm Gelcoat doesn't use a primer. It's applied directly onto the fiberglass. Post up some pics so we can see what you're working on. What Boat? What Year?

Ned L

Commander
What Woodonglass said. When a glass hull is laid up the gellcoat is sprayed into the mold and the the resin & glass are layered in. No place for primer.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Unless its really Really thin black then its not paint. You probably have white accents on the hull yea? If thats the case..then they sprayed the black..pulled tape/masking..then sprayed white over it. I just did a dark blue gel repair where there was red and yellow under it. Thing had a red stripe..yellow was for the color temp of the red.

If you rub your hand across it and feel a slight dish..then just spray some black gel to patch it. Basically spraying putty on there.