Aroliner transom replacement

Mat mason

Cadet
The wood is all rotten and I've never done this before, how hard is it going to be and how much will it cost me to do it myself also are there any tricks to make the replacement easier

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 0

Mat mason

Cadet
Aroliner transom is rotten

I've never done this before but any help would be appreciated, how much will it cost me to fix myself and are there any tricks or tips that will help me out

jbcurt00

Staff member
I merged these topics for you

Here in the resto forum is the best spot for it

Welcome to iboats, I'll check out the pix later

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looks very doable. Check out my transom rebuild thread in my sig line. You will find lots of useful info in it. As far as what you will need, patience, hand tools like a hammer, chissell, cordless drill, drill bits, some exterior grade plywood, some spar varnish or epoxy, some closed end blind rivets, a rivet gun, patience, and lots of reading of some of the resto threads on aluminum boats here in the resto forum, and the Starcraft forum.

Your in the perfect place with the best group of people to get your transom and the rest of your boat in tip top shape.

As far as cost for me just in materials I was into my transom rebuild for around $300.00. That doesn't count new tools I purchased along the way or replacement things like blades and sand paper. Good luck and ask away with any questions you may have.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The wood is all rotten and I've never done this before, how hard is it going to be and how much will it cost me to do it myself also are there any tricks to make the replacement easier
Hello Mat, I,m new to the forum and fairly new at working on boats. So far I have been just diving in, I,m currently in the middle of a transom replacement. For the most part it has been straight forward only because I have read so many post over the years made by all these knowledgeable individuals here on iboats. Follow the advise of these guys and you will get this done.

In addition to what has been suggested so far. In my opinion as far as cost go, you have several options on what materials you use. Cost is most likely going to be associated with how long you want this transom to last. For example- look up the price difference between a gallon of paint Vs a gallon epoxy resin. it wont take a gallon, I just used a gallon for ease of looking up the cost difference. The original wood in your transom was painted, many people are sealing transoms with Epoxy which is expensive, but far superior to paint. The plywood you use can also add or remove from the cost. Maybe tell these guys your goals with the boat, how long do you want the transom to last is directly related to product suggestions. Good luck with your project!

Mat mason

Cadet
Thanks will, If I'm going to replace it I don't want to cut any corners as I'm going to use it in the bay for striper and flounder fishing

Mat mason

Cadet
I haven't picked it up yet but I'm going to get it tonight or tomorrow and want to get right at it, I do a lot of fishing from the shore and figured it's time for a change

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Preserving wood in a marine environment, IMHO, is all about creating a barrier coating on the wood and then preserving this coating. The preservation of the coating is mainly dependent upon you and the maintenance and care you give the boat once you have given the wood it's barrier coat. It's also extremely important to take care when mounting any wood to the boat and attaching hardware. Anytime you make holes in the wood you should always pre-drill the wood and then coat the holes with a waterproof material as well as the hardware to ensure no water will be able to penetrate to the inner regions of the wood. If any parts of the wood are left bare, Water will find its way to it!!!! It's been proven that epoxy is the best and most durable barrier coat you can give to the wood. And it's the most expensive. Next would probably be Polyester resin and Glass. After that would be wood preservative and multiple coats of Oil based Paint or Marine Varnish. All will work. The life of the wood will be extended even further by the quality of care you give the boat during it's use and the off season. A poor barrier coat will stand up for quite a long time if you give the boat extremely good care. One thing that you should be aware of is that you don't want to use Pressure Treated wood in your aluminum boat. The chemicals used in the wood will have and adverse effect on the aluminum and damage it severely. Just use normal Exterior grade plywood and put the barrier coat of your choice on it. If you search the forum you'll find examples of all the aforementioned barrier coats. They've all been used and they all work well. Rustoleum Oil based paint is one the most commonly used paints.
Keep posting pics and questions and we'll be here to help all the way.;)

Last edited: