1966 Starcraft rebuild

Starcraftnut

Recruit
Hello. Bought a 66 runabout 14' 10" think maybe a jet star no info. Reg says 1966 Starcraft only. With my rebuild should I remove all aluminum trim, windshield ect. Paint is faded but still on. Take to bare aluminum or will this old paint work as primer. Want to do this whole thing right? Thanks

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Hey Starnut welcome to Iboats.

I would take off as much as possible. I mean..if its easy to remove/install then go for it. If somethings gonna be a PITA then its your call.

As long as the old paint is still stuck on there good then its just a scuff and paint kinda deal. You would feather the edges of any popped/flaking paint ( or corrosion spots ) and spot prime those suckers..then paint :)

These guys are gonna want some pics man..so you might wanna start uploading now ;)

Starcraftnut

Recruit
Thanks I will upload some pics when I figure out how. I'll see how the paint removal goes. There are no pits , flake paint , or corrosion , but ther are a couple of deep scratches I'll show. To see if I should do something with them. I have reworked couple of tin boats , took them down to bare aluminum , etch prime and paint. But they were in bad shape as paint goes. I could drill out rivits on trim to remove the trim , if you think it's nessesary to check for corrosion . Thanks again.

Tnstratofam

Commander
The best way to post pictures is using a photo hosting site like photobucket. Upload your pictures to the hosting site. Then bring up your image and click on or copy the pictures url. Then paste the images url into your post on iboats. As far as trim removal, if the paint is indeed intact, and no onvious sighns of corrosion I would remove what I needed access to for the resto, however be careful with the bow rub rail cover as they are tricky to remove, and are nearly impossible to find for replacement.

Good luck on your resto. Oh and by the way :welcome: to the Starmada and to the best place on the web for everything boating.