Lone Star Boat Collector- 1 Restoration at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Lone i need all the info i can get this is my first boat of this size, another question that has come up is how was the original decking laid down? was there a seam down the middle ? and how about the side walls? how did you do yours? any info and pics would be grateful..

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just thought of another question, Where on the Eldorado was the battery located at ? and pics would be great

thanks again for every ones advice on here

LoneStar7

Cadet
Alright, so a few things about these old boats. When they were made, electric starting outboards were a deluxe feature, if not an add on. So battery placement really wasn't a production concern with the boats for manuafactures. Most ignition boxes for old outboards are pretty close to the motor, generally mounted on the transom below the splash well and the battery is then wired close to that in a container. That is how I have my El Dorado set up just as I described. Some other boats of that vintage have a transom seat and in fact my El Dorado had one that some one built and that was a nice place for battery storage as well. I removed it because I prefferred the deck space but I ll show you some photos of how it looked before I restored the boat

LoneStar7

Cadet
No Title

The flooring in Lone Star boats appears to be just regular 3/8 plywood that was painted on boths sides. Pressure treated wood wasn't an option then and none of the old Lone Star boat brochures says anything about marine grade plywood. So I really do believe it was just plain plywood. My original flooring actually didn't even need replaced so I saved the old flooring for a template and still have it. Since mine was still in good condition, when I rep;aced it I just used standard plywood. I did bump up to 1/2 wood but that was it. The flooring in the Lone Star El Dorado was originally installed in three pieces. The rear deck, the area from the transom up to the seats and cabin was one piece and that measured 54 and 3/4 inches wide (5' 6-3/4") and 94" long (7' 10") . I m sure you could find a sheet somewhere wide enough and long enough to replicate that but the local store's plywood width will max out at 4 feet and you will have to use two pieces to cover that area. When I did mine, I decided on having the seam run the width of the boat, so I need to purchase two sheets of 4x8 plywood. But if your on a budget, you could do it in one sheet and run them lengthwise. Really your call. The other two pieces are in the cabin, The one is rectangular and is between the built in seat bases and the other is a triangle in front of the seat bases. I owe some pictures and dimensions on them. They were very solid in my boat and I didn't have a need to take them out. All the wood is held down with screws. I will take one out and measure it for you. They are just truss style head stainless screws.

The sides inside the cabin and aft deck was originally just masonite and thats all i used as well. I painted both sides and it has held up well. It is held on with the exact same screws on the floor. They were easy to replicate and I again owe you some dimensions. I still have have the original ones in my basement. The seams where the floor meets the masonite or the seat bases is simply aluminum corner guards fastened to the floor and masonite. I ll get some photos of this for you

Attachments

• photo224708.jpg
    photo224708.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2

LoneStar7

Cadet
I m going to start work on my other El Dorado soon and am going to be replicating all of this stuff all over again. Half the fun of the restoration is doing the work but if there is anything you would need please feel free to ask me I ll do my best to guide you as much as I can.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Wow LS7 you have an awesome fleet! Top notch work on your restored LSs too :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing you document your work here in the iboats forum!

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the info Lone, i have all the wood for the front of the boat it was still in good shape, the PO redone the deck and he used one sheet down the middle and a small 3 inch piece on each side. He also smeared silicone all over the inside of the boat so it is taking me forever to get it out but i am getting close. I will post some pics when i get a chance for you and all to see.

What part of Ohio you in i am from there and still have family there i see a few times a year would love to see your boats up close.:)

LoneStar7

Cadet
Been restoring my old Lone Star Trailer and decided to add a spare tire to the mast. Cut a piece of steel and welded some nuts to it, so I could screw in some all thread. All and all it turned out well. I brush painted the trailer and its looking great.

bmanbob

Recruit
I just completed my iboats registration and found your post. I bought a lonestar boat, but still not sure what model it is. I too love these large v hull aluminum boats. Mine is a real tank. You've done some real nice work restoring your collection and I share your passion. My boat came with an evinrude selectric push button electric shift and after a bit of work it functions great. I may get back to you with questions if that's ok with you. Thanks again. Bob Bowman

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bob, LoneStar7 hasn't been logged on to iboats since Oct 2015, he may or may not get your message.

Start a topic about your LoneStar, we'd love to see her. Several other active members have done (or are doing) LoneStars.

Welcome to iboats, but please don't post in topics that have been inactive for 90+days. Thanks

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
Hello, Beef from Beef Creek Boat works. I am a SkiffCraft wood Boat person and I was cruising Crags List when I found a Lone Star 15' boat ,model Deauville.
I thought what the Hell it's cute and I got it for 50.00. Boat, 1964 Johnson Sea Horse Motor 40 hp, and a Sea Lion Trailer. Now it's rough but I think I can restore her.
If any one has information on this I would appreciate it. Pictures of interior of the seating would help. I haven't found much on the web about this one but I did find it on You Tube. It's the one with the 105 Chrysler outboard. That is the exact boat I bought. Can anyone tell me what year that boat is?
Thank you for your time.
Beef

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hello, Beef from Beef Creek Boat works. I am a SkiffCraft wood Boat person and I was cruising Crags List when I found a Lone Star 15' boat ,model Deauville.
I thought what the Hell it's cute and I got it for 50.00. Boat, 1964 Johnson Sea Horse Motor 40 hp, and a Sea Lion Trailer. Now it's rough but I think I can restore her.
If any one has information on this I would appreciate it. Pictures of interior of the seating would help. I haven't found much on the web about this one but I did find it on You Tube. It's the one with the 105 Chrysler outboard. That is the exact boat I bought. Can anyone tell me what year that boat is?
Thank you for your time.
Beef

Hijacking an old inactive thread. Read a couple of the prior posts.

You asked already in your thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.