1975 Starcraft Capri Sport 20

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Let's just say transom seems OK. Skin pulled from where floor met transom and wood still pretty solid. It had outdrive pulled few years before I got it and was resealed. And like I said in an earlier post stringers from rear up just past motor mounts are very heavy duty and are solid. Damage seems to have started around the ski door in the floor and spread. Also the glass in this boat seems to be a lot thicker than most. What killed stringers was first overkill where it was glassed then nothing under cross ties linking stringers. That left five 1" bands of exposed wood on each stringer. Also noticed only floor and transom were plywood. Everything else is wood planks of various thickness.

Now onto my next question. I see resin with and without wax. What is pro and cons and or which should I use?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have always used non-waxed resin, because it will dry without any stickiness left over that has to be sanded off.

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would stickyness be a positive on stringers to help when placing the floor in

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, thanks. Now that the teardown is done, on to the cleanup

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You want to use a non waxed laminating resin. If you use resin with wax in it and you let it cure before the next layer of glass you must sand and prep it and you won't get as good of a bond as with the non waxed resin. MTBG has it a bit backwards. The wax is put in the resin to help it cure faster and make it less sticky so it can be sanded and not gum up the paper. Without the wax it can take the resin several days to cure. Polyester Resin is "Air Inhibited" cured meaning you must block the air from the surface in order for it to fully cure and the wax, floating to the surface does this.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't know Wood, I have only used waxed resin a couple of times and I never did get that stuff to cure right, which is the reason I stopped using it... When I am doing smaller areas I cover the lay up with saran wrap, I keep several rolls of the wrap around here, I pick them up at Costco. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Now a days, I only have tin boats so I don't worry about it.

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can get a good deal on white oak planks. Would this be good for stringers, or should I just stick with laminating some plywood together. I'm thinking 3 layers of 1/4 to make 3/4 inch at the 12 feet long I need

jmlloar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decided to go a diff route and bout a 1973 MFG 16' that was barley used and garage kept. And it came with EVERYTHING all the original curtains and covers all paperwork and books. Sitting on its original TeeNee trailer. Other than a little stain on carpet and a little fade that comes off easy on the deck it would be hard pressed to guess it was ever used.

To make long story short the StarCraft goes

EDIT: please refer to rule #8 which prohibits sales thru the forum

Last edited by a moderator: