is this hull repairable?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy, I have to take my words back, I was one of the guys that said junk it, but now you have experienced the magic of iBoats, welcome to the family!

Good job, and hell you did it nice and quick! Many of us take years to get it right!

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get her oname the water.... I just hope she floats lol

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm gonna get the bottom paineed in the morming then flip her over and try to get the deck built and glasses and maybe start painting the topside. I can't get the material to replace the tongue until Monday or Tues hopefully I can get all the glass work and paint done before I get the stuff for the trailer. I might just get tha boat in the water before the end of the week!!! Woooo!!!

I still haven't decided what I want to do with the deck. Should I build it out of plywood or figure out how to do foam. I kind of like the idea of foam just to have something behind that patch work that's somewhat solid if that makes any sense. I'm sure the fiberglass I did is stronger than most the rest of the boat. I'm pretty surprised how thin the aides of the boat actually is

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
If you go foam, get good advice of which to use here. Im a tin boat guy so I used pink foam board from big box store. My dads Hewes got redone and I think the guy used crap stuff and its water logged and ton heavier than it should be now. Your progress from damage to now has to be a record! Keep at it.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you go foam, get good advice of which to use here. Im a tin boat guy so I used pink foam board from big box store. My dads Hewes got redone and I think the guy used crap stuff and its water logged and ton heavier than it should be now. Your progress from damage to now has to be a record! Keep at it.

Thank you it's been a lot of fun so far.... well everything except grinding and sanding fiberglass..
That was my main concern with the foam I don't want it to get waterlogged like you hear on most other whaler style boats. I like the fact that I can flip my boat over by myself. i have a friend that had an old 13' whaler and it was a struggle for 6 of us to pick up because the foam was so waterlogged

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
You dont need foam. If you Want foam then go for it. You could even build/buy a storage hatch up there. Make it into a cooler or storage locker if you want.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You dont need foam. If you Want foam then go for it. You could even build/buy a storage hatch up there. Make it into a cooler or storage locker if you want.

Haha I bought a hatch for it already....I needed somewhere tof store vests and my anchor

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bottoms painted.... now got to wait till it dries so I can flip her back over and work on the deck later today

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A little closer to wetting a line ! I,m with ya on the bow storage .. You can never have enough places to stash stuff .. Was the area completely closed up before ? Just dead space ?

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yea it was all closed off and dead space in there. A lot of wasted space if you ask me.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Dude..thats so friggin sweet :)

Again..job well done man!

Thank you. I'm glad I decided to fix it I can't wait till it's done. Thank you guys for all the info and help along the way... I would have chopped it up and brought it to the dump if it wasn't for you guys

Last edited:

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All sanded prepped and coat of paint on her

20150705_150913_009_zpsvqoihpbe.jpg
[/URL]

20150705_151000_zpsuofstn37.jpg

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
You must REALLY want to go fishing! Thats quite a job for such a short period of time :)

Might as well make your own bow rail while your at it. Hell..you could get that done before lunch time ;)

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You must REALLY want to go fishing! Thats quite a job for such a short period of time :)

Might as well make your own bow rail while your at it. Hell..you could get that done before lunch time ;)

I want to fish so bad..... the striped bass are around here heavy everyone is catching tbem . Lol I'm trying to figure out how to make the bow rail. If I can't make one myself or have one made fairly cheap I will just pull the rails off (I personally like the rail so I would like to keep it)

zool

Captain
I want to fish so bad..... the striped bass are around here heavy everyone is catching tbem . Lol I'm trying to figure out how to make the bow rail. If I can't make one myself or have one made fairly cheap I will just pull the rails off (I personally like the rail so I would like to keep it)

These guys in FL claim to have any boat rail, a whaler one may fit fine...maybe they have something for u at a reasonable price.

http://www.themarineconnection.net/rails.html