Hull Repair Question: 1977 16ft Mirrocraft Aluminum

Giacomo8690

Seaman
Hello Iboaters! I am looking for some much needed advice on how I should repair the hull of my 16ft mirrocraft aluminum boat so it is watertight. The previous owner drilled 8 holes through the bottom of the hull for 8 bolts which supported the frame for a pair of back to back vinyl seats. I have removed the bolts and what I believe to be silicone caulk that surrounded them on the outside and inside of hull. I am debating whether to seal the holes with rivets, or use bolts again which I will then cut short given that I would like to eventually put plywood floor down. Another concern of mine is that the previous owner was kind enough to partially drill through the original rivets for some of these holes. Given my dilemma,I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to best seal these holes! I included pictures as well for your reference.

Capture1_zpssipmjkk9.jpg

Giacomo8690

Seaman
Below you can see one of the original bolts I removed from the hull, and the hole left behind that unfortunately was very close to an original rivet..
IMG_4875_zpshut0natn.jpg

Giacomo8690

Seaman
Also here is rivet I am considering using for repair and a view of the hole from inside the hull along one rib.
IMG_4888_zpsfizoowtj.jpg
IMG_4884_zpsul2uyxz5.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No, don't use those rivets, you need to get rivets you can buck, or you need to get an encased head rivet. A button head rivet like you have in your picture will leak.

Giacomo8690

Seaman
Ok thanks for the heads up. Do you have any advice on where to purchase those rivets and will I need a different tool other than the heavy duty 18" hand rivet gun I currently have in order to install?

jbcurt00

Staff member
No problem MT, i forgot to add that you'll want the Brazier head rivet ;)

Giacomo8690

Seaman
Ok great and as far as a tool to install the brazier head solid rivet I would need something more powerful then a regular hand riveter correct?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
They work with a standard rivet tool, just go slow and firm, when compressing them.

Giacomo8690

Seaman
Ok so right now my plan is to purchase either stainless steel closed end blind rivets or aluminum solid brazier head rivets from rivetsonline. I pictured the rivets I am considering purchasing below and the rivet tool I currently have. I just want to be sure I am not overlooking anything. Also I already have the marine sealant for the rivet..If you guys can let me know if that's all I need I would really appreciate it! Thanks Again.

closed%20end%20blind%20stainless.stainless_zpsvnv6wokk.jpg

modified%20aluminum%20brazier%20head%20rivet_zpsydmbuy2p.jpg

Brazier%20Head%20Aluminum%20SOlid%20RIvet_zpscib4rcuv.jpg

Rivet%20Gun_zpskdf4otlv.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd suggest closed end blind aluminum rivets not SS, just make sure they have aluminum mandrels

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No reason to go with Stainless, the aluminum will work just fine on an aluminum boat.