89 16' Predator CC deck restore

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 17yo son brought this boat home today, it had carpet that he has starting to remove. He dosent want to go back with carpet. He want it like a bay boat with a white floor with the spattered other color for grip. I am going through the motor and getting rid of the vro junk and will run mixed fuel in it. Carbs are pulled and I'll rebuild them. My question is about the deck, what should I do? Shoot gelcoat? I went through the entire boat and the floor and transom are solid and dry. What should I do for prep and gel coat?

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Na..dont shoot it..roll it on.

But you have to give it a base color first. Sand it down with 80 grit nice and clean like. Roll on a few coats of gelcoat ( unless you really Can/Want to spray it ). Then sand that with 80 or 120 to prep for nonskid. Mix and roll the nonskid.

You're ok with it being uneven like that though right?

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tilt and trim was not working so I looked online for a replacement 😳 $1200 for a new one. Dropped off trim unit to Evinrude dealer to rework it. Hoping for a cheap repair on it. Carbs were really clogged up. They are both clean now. Also getting rid of the vro system by picking up a 48spl regular fuel pump that will bolt right up to motor. I am ok with the gel coat getting rolled on. How do I do the splatter paint for grip and to give it a bit of color. Going to do white gel coat with grey splatter. Here is a pic from under center console. I want to match this.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The splatter look is fairly easy to achieve. Just use a 3 " brush and some thick Grey Gelcoat. dip the brush in only about 1/4" deep then flick the brush around in the boat. The gel will splatter off the brush onto the surface and make the pattern. It'll be kinda "Globby" and will dry that way too! Any sharp point can be knocked off with some sand paper later. Practice on some cardboard and you'll get the knack of it pretty quick.;)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
They also sell something called 'Webbing Solution'. It makes the gel turn to snot..shoot it with a regular spray gun. Thats how the factory does it.

Either way will work.

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks wog an dr. Found the gel coat and webbing solution at a local place. I dropped lower unit to inspect and change the water pump. Drained the lower unit and it was clean no water. Oil looks like it was 20yts old. I noticed on the water pump it's stamped "70 hp". My motor is a 40. We're they interchangeable. Impeller was trashed but all in one piece. Thanks yall

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wanted to post some pics from below the deck.

Everything is dry and looks to be solid. I'm no glass expert, looking for opinions.

Last edited:

Quantumn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice closeup shots of the transom bottom Rcxdm40. Everything looks nice and solid. It appears the last person, or oem had a clue on how to do it right. Press on Sir.

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
More progress on the stripping down. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We are thinking of painting the boat with WOG tractor painting techniques. Question is will this be ok on the floor deck with a splatter for grip? Will it wear good? Ect. Any pics of boats painted in this manner.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How about using Line-X or some other form of bed-liner inside and on top of the gunwales. I am considering removing my carpet and having Line-X spray the area.

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Main concern on that bonus check is cost, this is my 17yo sons project and he is paying for the restoration. I'm just the labor!!! Lol we though about carpet, but neither of us like it. Next we thought gel coat and that maybe what we do. I know we are painting the outside with the tractor paint technique. Just wondering about spraying the deck also.

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Today we started sanding the starboard side and removed the running gear from the trailer to get better access.

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is the color scheme my son whats to do the boat in, we believe this is Mako's Teal Blue???

Mark72233

Ensign
I like it. That color looks good on a boat. My wife wants to do an accent line on mine that color. Almost sounds like she is trying to decorate my boat like it was a room in the house. I better keep an eye on that. :eek:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm kinda partial to that color too!!! That's kinda close to the color of my Blue Flamingo!!!!:D;)

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have some holes and a few deep gouges I need to repair. What should I use to fix these. PB I'm guessing. I can't for the life of me find the recipe for PB on here. Thanks guys!