Pour outboard transom plate out of Seacast?

ChadHubbard

Cadet
Hi All:
I apologize if this has been asked. I have searched and not found a clear answer. I just purchased a 1988 14x52 Waterhouse houseboat. It has a 90 hp Honda outboard for prime power. The wood transom board is getting pretty tired. Can I make a mold (similar to a cake pan) and pour a transom 'board' out of Seacast? I see a lot of articles about pouring in inside a fiberglass transom, but not about creating a 'board'.

thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Chad

I would just replace the wood. Seacast is sandwiched between the inner and outer transom glass. Are you talking about the wood between the transom and swivel bracket? Do you have any pictures of the transom?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Pics always help us to help you. If you're talking about the piece on the outside then I suppose that you could. A member posted a new product the other day that might be better suited to your purpose. You might want to investigate this...http://Transomrepairkit.com It's really interesting. Lot's easier to pour than SeaCast but they claim just as strong.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You can form and pour seacast with no problem .. How big and how thick is the transom ? It is pretty expensive but will last forever ... Make a form and coat with form release and pour . Or use a piece of slick laminate . Take 2x2's and build your form on top of the sheet . Cover the 2x's with clear packing tape .. Then cut and lay a layer of mat or even 1708 biaxle cloth down inside the form turning up the sides .. Pour it and screed it to the top of your form . After cure unscrew the 2x side forms and pop it loose . A little clean up grinding on the edge then finish glassing the rest of it ... Piece a cake !
Make sure ya have at least 2 layers of 1708 around the whole thing ...
I have been checking into the stuff that WOG posted the link to ... I think I may try and use it for decking .. Looks interesting ..

Last edited:

ChadHubbard

Cadet
Thank you for the quick replies. I can get a pic next week when the boat is moved to our lake in Indiana.

It is the board that the outboard 'swivel' mounts to the aluminum transom.

I will likely go with something synthetic if possible. The bottom of the board is always in the water. It probably measures 1 1/2 thick, 24 long and 14 tall.

djm3801

Seaman
I have no heard of these folks so cannot judge. I just did a Seacast pour on my 16' McKee Waccamaw and I can say that the Seacast customer support is outstanding - they helped this new boat owner every step of the way and the outcome is a transom that is rock solid. Not cheap. But it has been around for years. Perhaps these new guys have a cheaper way to produce decent results. I went with the proven product. Good luck whatever you select.

ChadHubbard

Cadet
No Title

Sorry for taking so long to get back to my post. I have the boat at home on a trailer and have made the transom repairs. I decided I needed to raise the engine so I used static jack plates and 3" aluminum angle. It was quite some project, the tilt trim needed to be repaired so the engine had to be pulled. Here is my final result.

Attachments

• photo237225.jpg
    photo237225.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 0