Insulating/windows in 72 Stardust.

ngarover

Cadet
Just bought a nice project houseboat that I'm planning on living in. The previous owner has done a lot of work to her and it looks really nice inside. Everything is new. My issue is of course insulating this boat for winter, and replacing the windows with something better. My thought on this is to just do 2x2 framing on the inside and then use the pink Styrofoam insulation. As to the windows (the 2 Large single pain 70x48 sliders) I thought I could use these http://www.lowes.com/pd_319330-40446-748171612775_0__?productId=3119707 (I would have to make to 1.5 inch larger to fit) But the cost of 267.23 each is an order of magnitude cheaper than anything I have been able to locate in the houseboat world as replacement. Anyways, open to ideas here since this is my first houseboat.

$_1.JPG $_2.JPG

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Is there a chance that there is already some insulation behind the panelling?

ngarover

Cadet
Nope. The paneling was simply put up. I'm thinking I should be able to pull it away and reuse it.

ngarover

Cadet
Been awhile. Had a full Marine survey done last week and she passed with no major issues. Most expensive thing I need to deal with is the head, which is new, but of the older style. Seems to be a grey area but I'm looking into a good retro fit system to allow me to dump legally without breaking the bank. Maybe someone here has a used systems from a parts boat? State Farm fully insured the boat based on the marine survey, so I can sleep better at night now. Have to head over this coming weekend and take of the carb to rebuild it.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Good looking house boat! It would have sucked if it failed a marine survey, since you already bought it! Did you ever figure out the insulation and window situations? Do you live in a cold climate in the winter months? Do you plan on using it only docked or run it down a river, etc.?

ngarover

Cadet
Still working on the widow thing. I'm seriously thinking about just taking the original windows out and getting some double panes from the local salvage yard. The odd size is the only thing. so I may have to go bigger in order to be able to cut openings to fit the newer window. Houseboat with be docked 99% of the time, I would like to take the kids out on it on weekends in the coming summer, do some overnights on the river with them. Climate is ok here, we do get some snow for a month. Boats located in Chattanooga. According to the survey, I have to address a few things, like moving the battery charger, which currently is mounted above the battery bank in the engine compartment, the MSD system which is still the dump to the lake 72... by law it's ok to have the system, but I cannot use it since you can not dump blackwater anywhere. So I'll need to buy a holding tank or figure out another solution.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Maybe a composting toilet would do the trick for you. If you install a black water holding tank you'll still need to get it pumped out...often. As for the windows, do you know whether or not tempered glass is required? Most house window panes are not tempered (although some are). Just something to think about.

ngarover

Cadet
The original glass was not tempered. Found another window that's a little more, but you have options http://discountdw.com/i-5044412-vinyl-sliding-alpine-window.html can get them right or left opening, and the duel wall integral flush finish would work nice. 348 bucks each at 70X48. Could always put some 3m security film on the glass in to provide safety http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...cts/Residential/Safety-Security_Window_Films/ still cheaper than any other solution I can locate for a window of this size.