'90 Grumman 14ft Aluminum

AgTires4295

Seaman
Hey all, I've been slowly building up my jon boat and have upgraded the outboard to a Johnson 35.

Quick summary: This boat is a small 14ft aluminum (nothing special) that Ive slowly been converting to a comfortable side-console to take my kids out on. It had an Evinrude 25 tiller that I traded up for the current Johnson 35 and the Johnson is considerably heavier.

My greatest concern is the transom and the lack of support compared to others. I'm not sure if the previous owner deleted a knee brace or two but I dont fully trust the current setup. I dont see any holes indicating that he deleted any support but I don't know fully if this is a stock setup or what.

Here are a few photos:

jbcurt00

Staff member
You are likely over max hp for a 14ft Jon boat, the 25hp was probably over max too. I suspect it's rated for a 20hp. The pix show a 30hp, but you mentioned 'upgrading' to a 35hp, that's considerably heavier.

What's the max weight capacity for your 14ftr? The motor has to be included in the total.........

AgTires4295

Seaman
Im not sure as the capacity plate is missing. The engine cover in the photo doesnt match the engine as it is a 35hp (ran serial number).

I realize the 35 is a little larger than what some would put on their 14ft but the 25 struggled to push the boat with just me, a friend and our gear.

Arent horsepower "accepted ratings" increased by making the outboard a console vs tiller?