1963 Lone Star Medallion all 16' of fun

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You're really tearing into this LS rebuild Joe!

If you can still smell the solvent in the paint then wait a bit longer.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
got the bow painted and again a day to sure inside the garage, funny its raining at the front of the house but not in the back.

Looks pretty good. Like I said earlier form a distance looks like a 10 close up not great but no horrible.

question - in all the boats I've ever had I've never had to change a prop but this one is in pretty rough shape so going to buy a new one. it's a 13 1/4 x 17. Given the boat it's going on, that seem like a good size?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How rough is the prop? It may be better to wait and get some numbers so the prop guys can ante up their 2 cents? Less of budget hit if the 17 pitch isn't the best.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah not going to rush, it would get us on the water for a trip or three just wouldn't want to use long term, chips dings and two decent size cracks. I've done a bit of looking and there is a 13 and a 14 spline I'm assuming i'll have to take off the prop to see that.

Good news is the boat cam with a prop wrench. Can't remember where I put it, but its out there somewhere.

Off to get the seats.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Check with the Admiral. Prop wrenches are great nut crackers. ;)

Cracked blades and dings - Got a local prop shop?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
BONUS!. Walked in to grab the seats, handed cash to old Gordon, turned to load truck and 'hey'. Turned around and he shoved $60 back at me. 'got to thinking about that and i charged you too much.

I love me some old Gordon....

stopped at the county clerk's office so i'm legal in the unlikely event i'm ready this weekend.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
And the Gordo rebate was probably more then the county clerk hit :thumb:

You should be able to find the WOT rpms for your motor, and find an prop shop's guide to help confirm the 13.25 X 17 is the correct prop for your size LS tinny and its intended usage. The OB was on a different boat after all..........

If it's in the right diameter/pitch range, you might still wait to buy a new one, maybe you'll want more hole shot, top end, bow lift, stern lift, etc, won't know that til you run her. But, yeah. cracked blades would give me pause before running it at WOT.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
a couple spots of 4200 and shes got the nameplate back on. Cleats as well.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and she's outside....

not too far off the original colour.

going to do the last piece of floor today, install seats today. Or work on getting the motor ready to swap i've got 5 dudes coming over tonight for our show that can hoist it over. We do several hundred dollars of fireworks each years for us and the two neighbors. And the occasion person that parks on the road to watch.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh but first gotta clear out and pressure wash the garage. wife non too happy with me at the moment with all the overspray....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
This project was just meant to be. While swapping the motor yesterday and disconnecting everything the boat side wiring harness turns out to be 18 feet long plenty for the newsetup. No money and no extra work...

64osby

Admiral
Nice donor bonus!

More $$$ for you, might be well spent on spray bombing the trailer.:eek:

LS is looking sweet.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I love it when a plan comes together.... Nice score on the cables

Yeah, yeah, telll the Admiral it was plan for the donor all along ;)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ok so tthe cables have a different end at the controls the old had a set screw to pinch the cable this one has the eye built in so the connection doesnt work. One i could get a nut in behind but the other not enough clearance . Any ideas?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I am using the donor ones.

the mess of wires. This took about 30 minutes to get to this point

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
here is the pin. The wire sheath goes into the plastic connection then this drops down into it and you slide the center 'stinger' wire in and clamp.

new 479 replacement I bought has this end permanently affixed to an eyelet so no need to clamp the stinger wire.. i think i'll just tap the bottom part of this to 5/16' and put a bolt in it. i've got enough clearance. I checked the other evinrude cables avail here on iboats and didn't see an end that really looked the same.

Last edited: