White vinegar

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Any one ever use white vinegar to clean up after useing resin? Would it work for wipeing down before next layer instead of useing acetone? I had a Fiberglas body guy tell me that's all they use before gelccoat and or paint on truck hoods

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Ive used it to clean my hands from Epoxy before. Worked ok ..smelled like a tossed salad for a few days.

I dont think it would work for wipe downs though. The reason acetone works well it due to its high evaporation rate. Next time your stupid enough to not wear gloves and get resin all over your hands..try to wash your hands with acetone. Just like in the sink..but when you get done dont touch Anything..not even finger to finger. Bam! Clean as a whistle and dry as a bone. It evaporates residuals with it.

PS..dont actually do this. Not real good for you..

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That was one of the reasons I asked want to be able to srcrub while still wet not have it evaporate to fast

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have used lacquer thinner myself instead of acetone. Lacquer thinner does evaporate quickly but not as fast as acetone. For some reason acetone scares me with both the smell and getting it on your skin. Lacquer thinner does somewhat but I used lacquer thinner for years and feel better about using it for some reason... Yea I know that seems warped, but that is how I feel about acetone...

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm not a big fan of it ethiier with the vinegar at least I just get a craving for cucumber and onions

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Am I missing something I understand that acetone is not good for you. But from what I read its not the worst thing to be around. I read or bodies even produce it.
I am not condoning using it to clean or skin or anything just making sure I did not miss something about it

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It makes me feel funny when I use it's I don't like it being lite headed isn't my cup of tea. And yes our body's do produce it after we are dead and in the decomposition stage of the circle of life

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have actually used DMSO with pretty good results to clean things up, it is absorbed through the screen, but just wear gloves, luckily I can get it around here in quarts and gallons for a reasonable price. If you can get it, I have found it to be a pretty good alternative for some jobs.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've used white vinegar on concrete and it works great,don't know if it would work on resin. I like to use lacquer thinner also for clean it.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Don't know about the poly resins, but, I use denatured alcohol for cleanup with epoxy. Much more skin friendly than acetone and works almost as well. Have not tried it for wipe-down before next application, however.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Your wives, girlfriends and daughters are being exposed to far more acetone in their fingernail polish remover than anyone here is by doing these types of repairs.

Im not saying its good for you, only that for decades we bathed in it every day, we had 5 gallon buckets of it, one with dirty tools, and one with cleaner hand wash. You washed your hands about every 5 to 10 minutes all day long, for years on end. No gloves, no respirators, no PPE.

Wear gloves and don't stress over it, stop drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, eating fast food, drinking diet Coke, etc, then start worrying about acetone.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Wear gloves and don't stress over it, stop drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, eating fast food, drinking diet Coke, etc, then start worrying about acetone.

Ok..lets see here. Wear gloves-check..Check..working on it..never drank diet coke so check. Oh crap..Im close to having to worry!

The only reason I can think that your glass guy and his buds were using vinegar is to cut whatever wax is on there. Does Jack for grease though. Never liked Laq thinner because it melted my latex gloves. Denatured Alcohol is my goto for paint job wipe downs..acetone for gelcoat or glassin. I go through a Lot of gloves. If they are clean enough..you can turn them back right side out..blow..and re-use them.

Long story short..Use it for cleaning You all you want. Wipe down before a structural lam or painting a boat..hmm..probably not.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guys, what type of gloves have you found that protect against acetone? I have attempted to use gloves but have not found any that hold up against this stuff so I figured my only option was to just go gloveless. If there are gloves that work good I would be very interested in knowing what they are and where I could get them.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I used to work w a company doing an epoxy garage and bedliner coating process and although not completely acetone 'proof', we used a purple glove by Mapa, Trilites. They are neoprene, latex and nitrile. Hold up reasonably well, and have textured finger tips to help pick up small stuff. Worked w laq thinner too.

Uline carries them, but we bought in bulk, got commerical customer discount, so they may not be reasonable 1 box at a time after shipping.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Harbor Freight has the thicker nitrile gloves, they work fine.

There are several solvents that sort of do the job, even a bunch of water based cleaners that will work, but nothing even comes close to acetone for cleaning up resin, so it lives on.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Guys, what type of gloves have you found that protect against acetone? I have attempted to use gloves but have not found any that hold up against this stuff so I figured my only option was to just go gloveless. If there are gloves that work good I would be very interested in knowing what they are and where I could get them.
I was getting my gloves at the dollar store in the cleaning section. Big thick green suckers.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I bought 2 gross of 3M latex gloves 5 years ago for my project and I'm still using em out of the boxes. They seem to hold up well with all kinds of chemicals. As far as the hazards of Acetone goes, my research tells me it is mildly hazardous when it comes into direct contact with human skin. It's a bit worse when inhaled, or heaven forbid, ingested, but it's not an extremely hazardous chemical. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the...of-acetone.htm

But, as with any chemical, we should always protect ourselves as best we can. We only get one set of Lungs, Eyes etc...:eek:

Last edited: