Starcraft Islander 221 Rivets and Floor

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah so there's a quid pro quo with online free help. "Thanks" goes a long way and so do project pictures. Otherwise guys quit coming around.

I don't understand your last post.

sleddogs13

Cadet
Does anyone know what lenght (the diameter is often mentioned 3/16) the closed end pop rivets are on the stringers and what length the solid rivets are that are required for structure repairs like the plate on top of the transom.

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone know what lenght (the diameter is often mentioned 3/16) the closed end pop rivets are on the stringers and what length the solid rivets are that are required for structure repairs like the plate on top of the transom.

Ayuh,.... Length varies, dependin' on how many pieces meet at that point,..... 1/4" grab is plenty in most spots,....

I used the same rivets, Where ever I needed a water-proof rivet,....
The closed end rivets, Are solid rivets,...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I'll try to help again... Did you read my post #20? (Grip range = length) I mentioned grip range numerous times while giving you the means by which to determine what you need for the application and links to purchase the rivets needed, both blind and solid rivets with a suggestion for the alloy to use.

Solids are measured by standard imperial units but to get blinds right you need to know their grip range in 100ths and try to stay in that range. As I said 3/16" dia x 3/8" length for solids will be good for any 2 pieces of material you need to fasten with solids.

The deck supports/stringers are .080 AL, the ribs are .090 = .170 so a grip range would be from .125 to .250. These blinds do not go through the hull so closed end types are not needed, just the regular domed head work fine 3/16th dia x .125 - .250 grip range. http://rivetsonline.com/aluminum-rivet-aluminum-mandrel-w-dome-head-en.html