Vertical fillets

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
? For everyone how do you do vertical fillets? Every thing I've done in the past I could move around to do them.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Make your fillet material / pb good and thick and I use a plastic spoon .

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Lol me dance not, I was able to turn them on there ends and sides and such this ones to bigfor that getting ready to fillet my knees in and transom witch will be vertical

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes like previous stated, mix your PB thicker then usual if you're have the PB run on you, and it will stay. Another great idea is to use a large zip-lock type bag and spoon in your PB mixture and cut just a little opening in one corner and use it like a pastry bag to pipe out the PB into the area. While the really does work good, I most of the time seem to still get PB all over me anyway. I now have a large collection of PBed T-shirts... :facepalm:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, the Zip Loc bag trick really works well especially if you double bag em. Thickness IS the key!!! Mix ratio is usually around 1 part resin 1.5parts cabosil and about 1.5% MEKP. Or 1% if the Temps are in the 90's or higher. You'll get 20 minutes + working time. Like sphelps says a plastic spoon or a 1 1/2" plastic puttly knife with the edges rounded over makes a good filleting tool. Your fillets don't have to be to large but... neatness Counts!!! Smoothness will payoff in the end. I like to use a bondo spreader to do final clean up and feather out the edges. Saves on sanding when it comes time to laying the CSM and the Fabric.:eek:

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
I like to use a bondo spreader to do final clean up and feather out the edges. Saves on sanding when it comes time to laying the CSM and the Fabric.:eek:

Roger Dodger on that Woody. What I like to do is get one of those same plastic spreaders..cut them to the profile ( or slightly smaller ) of the radius your trying to achieve. The sides are kinda auto-cleaning while your spreading your butter. Then..if you want to get real clean and tidy..you can grab an acetone rage and wipe off any residual stuff. Aaand if you have time to baby sit the thing..you can acetone wipe the fillet juust about when its gelling up so to smooth it out baby. Ooor..you can do what I do and get some resin on a brush and lightly coat the PB..to kinda smooth it out pretty like. Iiif you want to get all fancy and high tech about this..grab yourself some "peely-ply" from your local vacuum bagging supply store around the corner..Bam!..no sanding afterwards.

PS. Man..I think im over thinking this. Second thought..grab a half dozen Wendy's plastic freezy spoons and a zip lock :)

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have used the zip lock bag trick before and it does work good I use hardwood flour instead of cabosil

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Roger Dodger on that Woody. What I like to do is get one of those same plastic spreaders..cut them to the profile ( or slightly smaller ) of the radius your trying to achieve. The sides are kinda auto-cleaning while your spreading your butter. Then..if you want to get real clean and tidy..you can grab an acetone rage and wipe off any residual stuff. Aaand if you have time to baby sit the thing..you can acetone wipe the fillet juust about when its gelling up so to smooth it out baby. Ooor..you can do what I do and get some resin on a brush and lightly coat the PB..to kinda smooth it out pretty like. Iiif you want to get all fancy and high tech about this..grab yourself some "peely-ply" from your local vacuum bagging supply store around the corner..Bam!..no sanding afterwards.

PS. Man..I think im over thinking this. Second thought..grab a half dozen Wendy's plastic freezy spoons and a zip lock :)

Humph, YD, you ain't seen nuttin till you've checked out the ULTIMATE FILLTETING TOOL...http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-bateau-com-tw28-stretched/page11#post9931027

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Polyester I'm not a big fan of epoxy have had issues with it before

Well, poly is hydroscopic and will over time absorb a bit of water and therefore, IMHO, you should not use water absorbing fillers...i.e. wood flour, talc etc... That's why I try and recommend the use of Cabosil when using Poly. Since epoxy has much better water resistance it really doesn't matter what filler material you use. But hey, you can use what you want, it's your project!!! Everybody has their own methods and ways of doing things.;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Thats pretty snaz there Woody. Ive seen one of those before..now where was it..? Oh yea..a bird cage! ;)

Yeah, I'd never seen that one before!!! Looks like it works pretty good!!! My problem is, I'd keep looking to scratch in the corner pocket!!!!:facepalm:

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hm I made something similar but with a piece of 1 1/2" pipe
The boat will only be in water couple hours a weekend in summer time maybe 8 at most then kept in a climate controlled garage in winter not to worried about water absorption it's a 78 it made it this long so il put her back together the way she was built