New to the forums

spence04

Cadet
Hello boatees, I figured I would start a topic by saying that I'm a fairly new boater I.e. Last summer. I got my first boat which was a little 15 ft McDaniel marle 3 "trihull" and my mariner 45 outboard water pump went out and I never figured out how to drop the lower unit.

So long story short I bought a new to me 20' 1990 four winns horizon yesterday for $600 and I'm not sure what needs to happen before I put the boat in the water I.e. Is there a drain plug... So any tips and help would greatly appreciated since this is my first I/O I've ever owned, so I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and getting back in the water since I'm about a month and half late on getting back in the water. So check out the pics and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Hello boatees, I figured I would start a topic by saying that I'm a fairly new boater I.e. Last summer. I got my first boat which was a little 15 ft McDaniel marle 3 "trihull" and my mariner 45 outboard water pump went out and I never figured out how to drop the lower unit.

So long story short I bought a new to me 20' 1990 four winns horizon yesterday for $600 and I'm not sure what needs to happen before I put the boat in the water I.e. Is there a drain plug...

Yep note arrow
1 plug.jpg

So any tips and help would greatly appreciated since this is my first I/O I've ever owned, so I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and getting back in the water since I'm about a month and half late on getting back in the water. So check out the pics and let me know what you think.

Needs a lot of work, but hey for $600 what can be expected. Run a compression test to check status of the motor. If it checks out, change all the fluids and filters, maybe even the gas if its old.

spence04

Cadet
Thanks alldodge I will be working on it pretty much all this weekend getting it cleaned up and ready to put it in the water at the marina that you see in the background there, but the hull and floor are in excellent condition but I haven't had the chance to start it yet but I was told my the previous owner that it either it needed fresh gas or a new starter switch, but I will figure that out Saturday while I'm cleaning it up and I'll make sure that I buy a manual from the local west marine and get to work on it asap.