Plan to restore an Ebko Cimmaron... would like advice

Arlington

Recruit
I have purchased an 16' Ebko Cimmaron that is in need of repair and would like advice to help me get started. The boat had been re-decked sometime in the past, with the deck being made of 2x4's and 1/2" ply topped off with frp, laid on top of the rotted stingers and the factory foam. The transom is very wet near the top and the external skin has cracks that have been filled in with expanding foam. The consoles have been sagging so bad that the previous owner placed a shim under the glass to attempt to make it close. There appears to have been at one time a bulk head that ran across under where the windshield, and in front of the bilge. There are also a few screws that protrude thru the outer hull. The keel has many deep scratches and needs attention. The cap is loaded with stress cracks and chips in the gel coat. I am sure to find more items that need to be repaired but that should get me started. Here is my plan, please let me know what you think.
1. support the boat with a cradle built onto the trailer (not sure how to do that part, but needs to stay on the trailer)
2. remove trim, windshield, lights, radio, and gauages
3. take as many measurements and photos as possible of the existing structure
4. remove the cap
5. remove what remains of the stringers, bow interior, and bilge
6. cut inner skin and remove transom
7. grind the entire hull from bow to stern
8. repair and holes in the hull
9. rebuild and install the transom
10. install new stringers and bulk heads
11. install the bow interior storage units
12. pour foam
13. install deck
14. install cap
15 repair the front starboard side of the cap and then repair all the cracks in the gel coat.
16 reinstall all trim
17 repair the keel

I plan on using 1708, csm and polyester resin, then gel coat.
Does this sound like a good plan?

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like ya been studying ! :joyous:
Welcome aboard ! :welcome:

Arlington

Recruit
Thank you. I have been reading any post and watching any video I found that has any thing to do with boat restoration.

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome to dry dock!! Neat looking boat!! That guy "sphelps" has a really great build on his MFG. Lots of sound advise. Also read Woodonglass blue flamingo build, Archbuilder Miss Morgan to name a couple. There are many on here and a great bunch of folks willing to help. As for as your plan, looks good. One thing to think about is your pour foam and deck sequence. Lots of guys do it reverse of what your thinking. put the deck down, drill holes to pour the foam into and then glass over top. Check out friscoboaters searay build...

Are you thinking to re-do the gelcoat or paint?

Good luck on your adventure!!

Last edited:

Arlington

Recruit
Thank you Corjen1 for the advice on the foam pour. I will make that change. As far as the gelcoat or paint, I've not decided. Probably gelcoat. I removed the windshield, gauges, and started to remove the rub rail. The manufacturer to my surprise used steel screws not stainless screws or aluminum rivits to attach the rub rail and the cap. Now I need to find a way to remove or cut the screws holding the rubrail and cap on. Thinking of using an ez-out, or maybe a grinder and get up between the cap and hull to cut the screws. Not sure what would be the quickest and easiest way yet. Maybe a sawzall with a metal blade held at angle so as not to cut the cap. I don't know but will give each a try this weekend. If anyone has tackled this issue before, feel free to offer any ideas. Thank you

jbcurt00

Staff member
Trooper82 has an Ebko in dry dock, lots of great boat building stuff going on over at his boat house..

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Hey Arlington..whats up. Well it looks like you have a solid plan here. One step at a time mate.

You could try through bolting some angle iron pieces where the rub rail mounted..then angle off some 2x4s to the ground from there. ( for your boat cradle supports )

As far as the rub rail..well..just make sure you can get some replacement shtuff for the missing or damaged areas. Its not like a few sections new RR and insert is expensive. In any case, if your going to take it off while keeping it ( somewhat ) in good condition..then try a 1/4" cut-off wheel on a grinder. Grind them heads off enough to pop the RR. Sure this will kinda get into the Alum a little..and your going to have to make new holes when slapping that sucker back on. But at least you will have a bit of screw left to take some vise grips on em' to get them out ( saw zaw is gonna leave Nothing for you to grab on to..and they do go through the hull and deck ).

Good luck on your rebuild. Oh..and I suggest investing in a full face resporator..and some ear muffs/plugs.