Aluminum boat painting

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Good Morning Everyone,
First time boat owner, and newbie to iboats. I recently purchased a 1973 Starcraft Nova 15' and am looking for help regarding painting the exterior. The hull is in very good shape, but it does have a lot of rub marks and scratches so I want to paint it and getting it looking good again. I was wondering if painting with a brush, or spray can would be a viable option. I don't have a compressor or spray gun at my disposal, so I'm looking at my options. My thought was to sand the entire boat and smooth it up, and to prime the bare aluminum spots with a self etching primer. From there I'm not sure if I want to brush, or use spray bombs for the finish coat/coats. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The boat, motor, and trailer are all original, and the interior of the boat is near perfect except for the carpet in the back half. I'd like to make the exterior look more like the interior. I will try to post pics soon. Thank you in advance for your help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd use the Roll n' Roll technique with Tractor Paint and Hardener. It's been used by a LOT of the members here on the forum with GREAT results.

You can learn about it here...Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's a NICE looking Rig!!! You can make her look brand new with some paint and Care!!!

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you. Not sure regarding paint yet. Trying to get info as I'm new to paint something like this. If I can make it look as good as the interior I'd be very happy.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That looks all original, if at all possible, I wouldnt do anything to the exterior but a wash and maybe a quick wax...

Nice looking boat.

Last edited:

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you. I believe it's all original. I bought it from a gent that had purchased it two weeks earlier from the original owners. He couldn't get it to run and didn't want to mess with it and sold it to me for a very good price. Boat, motor, and trailer all included. I have all of the vinyl top and windows, manuals, and even the factory brochures which are all like new. I have a very good friend that used to own a marina, and still works on boats working on the motor. Definitely got a nice deal.

Daniel97

Cadet
This isn't the answer you are looking for:

That looks all original, if at all possible, I wouldnt do anything to the exterior but a wash and maybe a quick wax...

Nice looking boat.

I second this comment. Just give her a good wash and wax.

Now to get to what you want to hear. You would first be better off buying airplane stripper from the local auto parts store. Make sure it says aluminum safe. I would paint this onto it with a paint brush and then use a scraper to scrape the paint off. It should come off with ease. My paint stripping took 3 coats of this stuff because I have 4 coats of paint and primer on mine. You can then sand the rough spots very little. I hate sanding any kind of metal because it causes scrapes and scratches into the aluminum. Your next step would be to prime her with a very good quality aluminum primer and paint her with a very good marine paint I would prefer the rattle can method, but you can use a paint roller with light coats. It all depends what you are comfortable with. Nice looking boat. Keep us informed on what you decide to do.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
No need to strip paint that's well adhered. You only need to prime any exposed bare aluminum. But... I too, think it looks good enuf just the way she is. Maybe try and touch up any bare spots and that's it.

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Now you all are messing with my head!!! I want the outside to match the inside, but if it means the boat has more character or appeal, I'm ok with leaving it like it is. I've looked in to adding a radio and other stuff, but there's no way I'm cutting into the vinyl on the dash. Is there anything to make vinyl softer? The top sounds very brittle.

Daniel97

Cadet
Unless you have built in ice chest, you will likely bring one along for the ride. Buy an ice chest that has the speakers built into it and play your music through that. Saves you from cutting through the vinyl.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Carefully heating the vinyl and using vinyl restoration product will help restore it's suppleness.

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you all for the tips and info. Hopefully someday I'll be able to do the same. I'm thinking the most important thing I need to do with the boat is get it in the water and use it. I'm hoping my buddy is done with the motor tomorrow so we can try it out, but to do that I need to spend less time on this damn site!!! It's kind of addicting.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sooo are you calling me an iBoat Addict!!! Are you saying I need and Intervention??? What ARE you Saying?? Are you being accusatory?? I'm not sure I like the tone of your Post!!!! Just because I'm an Old Dumb Okie doesn't mean I don't have feelings!!! The nerve of some People!!! :rolleyes: :lol::joyous: Just yanking your chain!!!! I've been ADDICTED for a LONG TIME!!!

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Sooo are you calling me an iBoat Addict!!! Are you saying I need and Intervention??? What ARE you Saying?? Are you being accusatory?? I'm not sure I like the tone of your Post!!!! Just because I'm an Old Dumb Okie doesn't mean I don't have feelings!!! The nerve of some People!!! :rolleyes: :lol::joyous: Just yanking your chain!!!! I've been ADDICTED for a LONG TIME!!!

I never said it... I may have typed it, but never said it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I never said it... I may have typed it, but never said it.

Stick with us and you will................. probably mutter to yourself, drool some, and drink a bit as well (if you're so inclined).....

Plus ya might even drag home another project boat before you finish the 1st (2nd 3rd or 4th) and a derelict donor boat and trailer (or 2 or 3....) to use for parts...

Yep, lots to look forward to..... :watermelon:

Last edited:

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
While I'm thinking about it, The windshield on this boat is in very nice shape...except for one crack. My plan is to drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it, but I was wondering if anyone has repaired a crack with some type of filler or epoxy?