Gelcoat sand down...what do I need to see

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys I'm new at sanding down and restoring a very oxidized boat. Like many have suggested I started with the least aggressive method to get down to the true color. Worked backwards from compound to 2000 wet all the way to 320 dry before I actually made it to the gelcoat and actually seeing the color return. PO never removed oxidation and kept waxing over. So it took about 6 steps to get to where I need to be to go back up in the wet sanding grits and buffing. PO also decided to spray some metal flake in odd places so I have to sand that out too

Question is... Am I on the right track? Sand down til I can actually see the color on the pad or is that too much? ( color is burgundy...nothing but white til the burgundy showed on my sanding block). Also with the dumb metal flake in places ...safe to sand that down too? I might post pics. Thanks. John

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Post pics. Generally I wetsand with 360 until I get thru oxidation, then on to 600 grit then 1200 and buff. However reds and burgandy suck and are the hardest to keep shiney.

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok will do. Made me very nervous because I have heard people freak out sanding with such a rough grit and sanding thru to the glass. Will take some pics n see what you guys think

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
If its just base color and not metal flake..then your fine. The white stuff is probably just old wax buildup. Now if its metal flake..then going to color is going too far.