Hull damage to a cruisers yacht 3075

hman

Cadet
Hoping that someone can help me with this. I found some damage to my hull and I cannot pinpoint when or how it happened. Insurance company said it was from a previous bad repair job based on how the bottom paint looked. So they won't cover the damage.I am the second owner of the boat and the second year I had it I removed all bottom paint down to gel coat and had Brewers barrier paint with 4 coats and 2 coats of bottom paint. wouldn't I have been able to see if a repair had been done? I did cut out an access hole from the inside and the crack goes through. Anyone have thoughts on how this could happen? Also a rough guess on cost to repair and time it would take.
Thanks
Andyhen

Attachments

• photo221416.jpg
    photo221416.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221417.jpg
    photo221417.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221418.jpg
    photo221418.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow hman thats some major damage . Looks like it ran up on a submerged pilings or jetty rocks . I,m not sure I could say what the correct way to fix this is.
Do you have good access to the inside ? For sure you will need to repair from both sides and I would recommend using epoxy resin for the added strength..
Hopefully some of the other members with more experience will chime in . Take some pics on of the inside from as many angles as you can . Maybe one with a tape measure so we can get an idea how large the hole is..

hman

Cadet
I added some pics from the inside. Length is 18" and width so far is about12"

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So this is at the center keel section just before the hull turns up at the bow? It's kinda hard to tell . Is it all fiberglass or is it plywood covered in fiberglass ?
No center keel wood stringer ?

hman

Cadet
Yes just before it turns up to the bow. Wood core no center stringer but this is right between stringers

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The damage appeared sometime between last season and when you went to have it put back in the water this year? No water infiltration last season? It almost looks like it got dropped when they were blocking it up.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
How thick is the wood core? How thick is the glass on the inside and the outside? Does it appear that the damage is on a seam of the wood? Is the wood fractured too? I'd suggest you grind all the paint, gel coat and glass off down to bare wood away and back far enuf to get to good unbroken/unfractured wood so you can estimated the total area of the damage.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Looks to be right about where blockin' would be placed under the hull, on the dry,....

hman

Cadet
Wood core is rotted. That's why I think I hit something and prob was just a small puncture and when moved to boat yard to prep gave way to blocking

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So what are y'all thinking .. Maybe a dbl layer patch . A bigger than hole layer fastened to the inside with a finish filler layer on the bottom . All epoxied and fastened together ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
As previously stated, you need to discover where the damaged/rotted wood ends and the good wood begins so you know the actual extent of the damage and what area will need to be repaired. Once that area is know and can be outlined on the hull, then everyone here on the forum can begin to help with determining possible viable solutions for the repairs. You need to be our "Eyes" since we can't be there to asses the situation up close and personal.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Cruisers used balsa core. If the core is rotten, it has been wet fore a really long time. You are going to have to determine the extent of the damaged core, and see if you can record the area during the repair

hman

Cadet
Thanks everyone for your comments.
So you think this was something that has been going on for a while? Insurance company said it was from a bad repair job. I am struggling with what course of action I could take now. If any one has insight on this please let me know. I will be moving forward with repair and will post pics as I go. Any inputs would be great.

Ned L

Commander
I'm going to suggest that if you are asking here how to repair this, it is a job that you should have done by the yard ( Brewers has a good reputation). A 30 ft cruisers is a good size, heavy boat. This will need to be done properly, especially if there is any chance for the boat to be blocked there or near there.

hman

Cadet
I am still trying to figure out whether or not to fight the insurance company on this one. Mean time I am gett a few quotes on repairing. I think it's a little out of my league.

zool

Captain
I am still trying to figure out whether or not to fight the insurance company on this one. Mean time I am gett a few quotes on repairing. I think it's a little out of my league.

have a shop that does insurance claims negotiate the repair with the insurance adjuster. The adjuster will have to prove that it was a bad repair, and that's not done by looking at the bottom paint...and even if it was repaired before, that doesn't relieve them of the responsibility, they would have to prove that a previous repair gave way under normal activity, and not a new accident...if you force them to prove negligence, they will most likely pay part or all of the repair costs, based on your policy.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Definitely looks like old damage, all that white stuff is filler they used to try and make it look right, less filler and more glass and it may have held up OK.

There's no way to say how or when it originally happened, but the balsa is probably soaked, which means a rather involved and sizable repair.

hman

Cadet
definitely not from a previous repair. Had a local guy finally come by to look at it. Now the processing of repairing begins. Hopefully I can salvage some of this season.