Gel Coat Kits Good or Bad

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Yea..I guess your right Ondarvr. But..my wheeling looks great compared to others around here. And it last much longer too ;) Im probably just melting the old wax crap off..

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Just a few more things to add if I may.

Isn't that why everything I've read about using buffers says to use them on slow settings with compound so as to not get it too hot?

Its probably more that you dont dry out the compound too fast. Its not like the typical DIYer is going to grab a 8lb rotary @ a 90 deg angle and start burning. Typically you would read something like "start slow and speed up/flatten pad after a few passes". Check this out. Lets say I want to buff out a black hull thats been sitting out in the FL sunshine for a while. Thats right..you could almost bake some stroodles on it. If you try to compound it before you cool it down..your compound would flash before you could even pull the trigger.

Im going to suggest that you do melt..well ok not "melt"..but do heat up the surface. To elaborate on my first post. I said "Microscopically" heating and melting. Were talking 600 to 1k fine scratches. Now I can pretty much say for sure that with the amount of pressure and speed that Im using..that on that scale, the fine gel scratches are not only getting sanded by the compound..but also heated enough ( by friction ) that the little itty bitty mountains and valleys do 'melt' and even out. Again..I said not blowtorch hot..but hot enough. I can assure you that these dark gels on some of these boats get Way hotter ( enough you cant put your hand or bare feet on them ) than what Im getting them to. With paint we do Melt the resins to blend them together ( but im sure there much difference in the cross-linking of the molecules ).

Now back to you Highlife..

There really is no sure fire answer to buffing or sanding and buffing. Every boat is different. Some may have residual burnt out wax that makes it appear oxidized. While others have a thick coating of Mop-n-Glow on them. And then you have the occasional boat thats so infected with 'perosity' that you would never be able to buff to a shine. There is no 'perfect' compound. A good wool bonnet is probably the only thing that can be agreed universally for compounding. There are times when just Finesse will be enough. Or sometimes you may wish to make a hybrid of two different components..making it 'perfect' for your boats surface. Or yes..you may have to put some paper to it. In the long fun We can only guide you towards proper methods,tools and common do's and dont's. What works for me may not work for you.

The only thing I would stand firm on is Not to use Wax. Its too thick for the pores of gelcoat. Use a good 'sealer' if anything. I think the Iboats store sells 'Awlcare'. I can personally attest to this working very well with gel coat. It does not yellow and is easy as pie to work with. But Im sure there are other good sealers out there.

We would love to see some recent pics if you can swing it.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
In the sun black gel coat can typically get into the 185* range, maybe a little more in some cases. A buffer can shoot the temperature right past 200* easily.

The compound is designed to be a very fine grit sand paper, there are different types of grit, some break down as you use them and effectively become finer. Others are harder and stay about the same the entire time, with these you may use a couple different grits to get the desired result.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In the sun black gel coat can typically get into the 185* range, maybe a little more in some cases. A buffer can shoot the temperature right past 200* easily.

The compound is designed to be a very fine grit sand paper, there are different types of grit, some break down as you use them and effectively become finer. Others are harder and stay about the same the entire time, with these you may use a couple different grits to get the desired result.

Would u start with say 1000 grit and then go with 1500 sandpaper?wet or dry? And then compound?

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Most of the time 1000 is all the finer you need to go, many shops only go to 600 or 800, but it also depends on the exact gel coat you are working with, some are harder than others and you need to use a finer grit. You can also use a coarser grit with a DA sander than you can when hand sanding.

It also depends on the buffing compounds you use, there are coarse, medium and fine, the coarse compounds can remove some pretty deep scratches. The one step compounds start out coarse and get finer as you buff, so you may only need to use one.

Last edited:

Highlife

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks to all for giving me a great information... Ok, here is the plan I think I will be pursuing... I have a 1991 Yar Craft 17' white fiberglass boat with a 10" gray fiberglass stripe down both sides, it's the boat in my profile picture. All in all. the boat I would say has light oxidation and very minor scratches or dings so I plan on lightly wet sanding with either 800 or 1000 on the top side surfaces as needed. I plan on following that up with 3m Imperial with a 100% wool pad. following that up with 3m perfect it machine polish and then topping it off with a good paste wax with PTEF in it like the article in Fiberglassics the further recommended.

I also made traces of the decals on the boat and having a local sign shop re-create them as they are not available from Yar Craft anymore. I got a good price of 80 bucks for all of them and he is using a uv type vinyl material. I'm planning on buying a variable speed polisher and I personally like the Makita 9227-C (don't know if someone has thoughts on this or not) but if you do please chime in... I will take pictures once i get going and post as I go, i'm currently working with the admiral on some of her projects and we all know that comes first..... Once again, thanks for all the discussion, advice and please let me know what you think of my plan going forward..... and as always....Live the HIGHLIFE.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like a good plan highlife. Just finished mine today. Lots of hours tho but pleased with the results.

Good luck. My arms are shot btw :)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
I'm planning on buying a variable speed polisher and I personally like the Makita 9227-C (don't know if someone has thoughts on this or not) but if you do please chime in.

Thats kinda the 'goto' buffer for everyone doing this for a living. That and the Dewalt one. The Dewalt gets kinda hot though. I just dont like the electronic start-up on the Makita..but its a good machine non the less.

You might find that after using the Imperial that you dont need/want to go over it again with a polish. Good stuff right there man.

Oh..and if the compound seems to be drying out too fast..spritzy some water on your hull/pad. Yes..I know it says not to add water to it..but it helps sometimes.

Good luck and look forward to them pics.

Highlife

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the extra info Yacht Dr, i hope to get started next week, Mother and Father in-law are celebrating 60th wedding anniversary this weekend. have a lot of relatives coming to town. stay tuned.

tpenfield

Staff member
I am a bit late to this party, but I have used one of those "restorer" products with decent results. As long as you understand that it will never be as good as getting the original gelcoat back to its shine as discussed at length in this thread . . .

If you are looking to get the shine back without all of the sanding and compounding, then a restorer product may suit your needs. I used PoliGlow, which is similar to Vertglas, but has come out better in some magazine test reviews. I did my entire sailboat with PoliGlow and it came out awesome. . . Lasted about 3 years before it needed another treatment.

The worse the finish is ( in terms of oxidation) the better it seemed to work. I tried it on my 24 foot Formula in a few areas that were starting to get beaten by the sun, but the results were not as good as my sailboat, which was really oxidized and dull throughout.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh Man, I KNOW I'm gunna get SHOT for this...But I just gotta do it...Don't forget the VASELINE!!! It'll Make Your boat look BRAND NEW!!!!!:faint2::D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Takes Stretch Marks out of your boat too :)

PS. FLOG the Oki Wood man !!

Highlife

Seaman Apprentice
OK Wood, i gotta know when would you use the Vaseline? at what step in the process? Final after the paste wax?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
OK Wood, i gotta know when would you use the Vaseline? at what step in the process? Final after the paste wax?

Im not sure if You're kidding or not..Im pretty sure Woody is kidding though.

The Vas. thing stems from a few older threads..in which a couple of us got the Ban Hammer..threads were locked down..posts deleted. Chaos everywhere! Well..not sure about the ban thing..but it was some truly heated opinions lol. Best just to let them sleeping dogs chew their bones in peace ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The reference to Vaseline WAS and IS a Blast from the Past and NOT intended to be used in any Practical sense!!! There were some here on the forum in the past that were of the mind that it was a good way to restore the shine to dull faded gel coat. It caused quite a ruckus. that's why is said I would probably be SHOT for bringing it up again. DO NOT take it seriously in any way. Just move on and pretend I NEVER mentioned it!!!!:eek::D;)

Highlife

Seaman Apprentice
Wood. got it... it's funny i guy i know said the same thing about vaseline is great to bring back the luster of i fiberglass boat. who knows maybe he got the idea from the forum??? that's why i asked the question is because i have heard that before.

Had a great weekend for the in-laws 60th wedding anniversary. Hope to get started on the buffing within the next week or so, i have to finish paying for the party first... Thanks to all. remember.... Live the Highlife

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
... it's funny i guy i know said ...

Yup..we all got those 'guys' lol.

The main dude, who will remain nameless ( cough YD or something something cough ), that was against vas or other petrol products has kinda done an about face on that subject. If there is no other option other than painting or re-gellin..then well..there is no other option. I mean..if your going to rub the last remaining coat of gel off the boat then it might be your Only option for some product like that. Its when the stuff is applied to a perfectly good oxidized boat that gets to me for some reason.

Speaking of 'I know a guy'..I know a guy that bought a case of spray silicone for this little red boat. He tried everything to get it back to shine..then grabbed a can of silicone spray and tried it. Bam! the gal loved it lol. He did that boat every year for this lady. Looked real nice like too lol..the only draw back was all the pretty little colors around the boat in the water..like a friggin oil slick :laugh: But everyone was happy and I guess thats what its all about man..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nobody ever said the "Vaseline Trick" didn't make dull faded gel coat look nice!!! It's just that IF you want to ever re-apply more gel coat or paint to a boat that's had Vaseline or Silicone or any other kind of this type application done to it then you're gunna have major issues. But like Dave says, it's your boat and you ARE free to do with it as you see fit. I think we should just ensure everyone understands the issues that are associated with every method.;)

Last edited:

Highlife

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, after a very long summer with severe family medical issues on my side and wife's side i just got done buffing and polishing the boat and it looks really nice Clark..... If i knew how to post pics i would do before and after shots (any help here would be great). I used a 3m oxidation remover product and followed it up with 3m perfect it. Now what should i use for a good sealer or do i dare say WAX!!! to help keep the shine.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Open a Free Photobucket account. Then copy and paste the IMG Code back into your iBoats thread. Use a power buffer and buff it and you should be good to go just the way she is.

Last edited: