Boat renovation.

tomkis

Cadet
Hello, i trying to fix old boat, i have much holes, i need some technic how to fill this holes with filler, because i dont have acces from other side to hold something i from other side of the holes.
Sorry for language.
2015-05-16 19.34.26.jpg 2015-05-22 17.45.08.jpg 2015-05-22 17.45.16.jpg 2015-05-22 17.45.21.jpg 2015-05-22 17.45.48.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome Tomkis !
Your boat looks like a tub constructed type . Have you checked the transom and stringers for rotten wood ?
Most of those small holes can be filled first with a homemade filler using polyester resin /cabosil/ chopped glass fibers then glassed over that . The bigger holes will be done a little different but basically the same .. You will need to make a fiberglass skin on a piece of wax paper or a scrap piece of slick laminate ..Do you have any resin or csm/mat fiberglass ?

tomkis

Cadet
I am not sure, but i think there is no wood inside. Transom is from glassfiber also. I have epoksy filler, SCM, and later laminate with vinylester. Are you think i need gelcoat before topcoat, or it's enought topcoat?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If you are planning on painting it then no gell coat is needed . Is the epoxy filler you have sandable to use for fairing ? I have never used vinylester resin but I'm sure it's similar to polyester resin . I would do the repairs with the vinylester then skim coat with the epoxy filler . Prep for paint then prime /paint .

tomkis

Cadet
Thank you for helping :) And last question, before painting beter clean with white spirit or aceton?

tomkis

Cadet
Hi, i have question :) I plan paint with topcoat with two layers. i need sand little bit after first layer?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Probably ... What paint are you using ? It should read something about cure time and sanding between coats on the can ..

tomkis

Cadet
hm... i get it from my job, it is from Norpol. We building a catamarans from carbon sandwich :) But my job not painting, i must ask who now it :)

tomkis

Cadet
Yesterday i paint first layer... i have problem on pic. Whats wrong? This reaction only on some places, i paint on old paint, just sand it. If this reaction from old paint than i think all boat will be like this but it is on some places.
What to do now, just sand this places and repaint...?

2015-06-16 11.56.22.jpg

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's very common for new paint to soften and wrinkle up older paint if the two types aren't compatible. The old paint needs to be removed, or use a compatible paint over it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Some kind of contamination with the paint. I'd sand of the problem area and us a compatible primer and repaint.

tomkis

Cadet
I start sand everything, take all old and new paint. Its important to use primer or enough topcoat on glass fiber.