New to the boat scene!

OregonJeep

Cadet
We just purchased our first boat this last week. I bought a 1956 Blake Craft 14ft fiberglass. It has an older Evinrude Seahorse 18 attached to it. It also came with 3 or 4 hornet nests! What a deal!
smile.png

Seriously though. The boat itself appears to be ultra solid, just in need of a good cleaning, and some new paint to make it pretty. The floor looks to be redone in the last 20 or so years, and there also appears to be some additional bracing that has been glassed on the transom. I have big hopes and dreams for this thing. I need to dig the pressure washer out and clean it up and hopefully the wasp/hornet nests are dead now (Turbo bug killer applied).

After we get it cleaned up we want to take some pictures of it and hopefully pass a visual inspection of the experts. My husband is trying to figure out what to do for a motor, but we honestly have NO idea what the boat is rated at, what speed it will reach plane (with an 3/4 load whatever that may be) and what type of motor he need to buy to just exceed plane. I'm not concerned with going 100 mph, but I would like to see it plane and zip wherever I need it to go respectfully.

Some basic things I measured. the transom height where the motor mounts is about 16 - 17 inches. the widest part of the boat hull is 62 inches at the top. and it's 14 feet long plus or minus a few inches because the tape measure wasn't being cooperative. This one I have does have a windshield (Has a small crack, but it's not bad) and a steering wheel with cable pully clothesline type steering mechanism. It also has the 2 lever throttle and gear control. (I was planning on updating the throttle and steering with the motor)

I'll get a few pictures of it up here soon, but I don't know the lingo, but I'll give it a shot. Should I cut the transom apart and replace it, should I try and seperate the cap from the hull to do my cleaning. The floor doesn't look pretty at all, but it seems to be "mostly" solid. What are the things that I can look for to identify any issues. I wanted a summer project and this to me sounded like a great idea and a lot of fun. I never worked with fiberglass, so it's all a first for me.

I know this is like asking what everyone thinks I should make for dinner, without telling you what I have in the cupboards, but I am hoping for some direction. Maybe with some help knowing what to take the pictures of, I won't destroy this little boat and I can restore it for another good 50 years of fun.

Thanks
Brandy
Coos Bay, Oregon

brandy@crystaliris.com

Attachments

• 11010296_664617753643205_2434668132570579828_n.jpg
    11010296_664617753643205_2434668132570579828_n.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 11174883_664617766976537_7416362780064046321_n.jpg
    11174883_664617766976537_7416362780064046321_n.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Looks like a cool little boat and should be lots of fun. Way back when dirt started I had a little one like that but it was an all plywood hull and that was a fun 1st boat for me.

I would think a 1974-1990 30-35hp OMC would be about right, or a 35hp Merc.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would start with the motor, does she run and be able to be reliable to get you guys back to the dock.
Then I would start checking for rot, transom, deck ,stringers.
Theirs a drill test you can do to check and see if those areas need attention. I don't know much about outboards so I hope someone else comes along and helps you out.
Nice little boat you guys picked up.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looking forward to the pics, sounds like a nice project! My wife was raised in Yachatz, not too far from Coos Bay. Beautiful area, the Oregon coast is!

OregonJeep

Cadet
Here is an update on the project we have going...we just picked up a 2003 Honda 30HP 4 stroke motor for the boat. Runs great and is practically brand new. The transom definitely needs to be replaced so we are looking at marine grade ply for that. We need to take off the old paint inside and out and sand the boat smooth. The fiberglass floor is going to be completely redone as it sinks a bit when you step on it. Its like stepping on a giant sponge. Not good.

OregonJeep

Cadet
Another update to this project. I'm hoping to get pictures up soon. We have completely separated the cap from the hull and have removed the boat seats. We haven't taken the cap off because we don't have a place to put it yet. We plan on sanding the cap down as it needs it badly. Someone has repainted this boat several times using a few different colors. Looks like the original color of the cap was seafoam green. We are going to sand it down then go from there. Right now this boat is a complete mess but it will get better in time.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
random thoughts:
Great looking boat.
The motor (at 250#) is a good choice but I am guessing that you will need a new steering system to replace the cable steer system.
As I recall, Honda is the only manufacturer that offers a 30hp, 15 inch, elec start, power trim/tilt. (current year)
I was looking around last year to repower my 57 whitehouse but opted to stay with my 56 evinrude and cable steer.
The transom hight may be an issue. 15 inches was the norm in 56 and today, you see gheenoes (big florida canoe with motor) with 20 inch transoms.

1956 pre dates the coast guard rated numbers that we all know and love.
If your phone or camera is working, we would love to see more pics of your progress.

best o luck.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
ps - the motor looks like a 1957 model - and if you were closer, I would make an offer for it. 3000 ish miles is too far.

OregonJeep

Cadet
I have uploaded pictures to photobucket.com of our progress. We do not have power tilt and trim with the new Honda, however we do have the remote with electric start. It looks like when we got the cap completely separated from the hull that someone went completely crazy in some places with the resin, and even applied new resin in some spots. We will be building the transom to the specifications of the Honda's recommended transom height for the new motor and the longshaft. The transom will be 21.73 inches high. It looks like the dry weight of the motor is 157lbs.
the link on youtube is of the old motor running on the boat. We went up the river with the boat, quite the distance actually.

https://youtu.be/dRLuRnrisas

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/BrandyG1977/library/

Last edited: